How To Use A Microscope?

Kissy

My fish has some sort of microscopic parasite and I might be able to get ahold of a microscope today. I am very bad with microscopes...how do I make it work? How do I do the scrape and how do I prepare the slide?

do u have a slide? like a piece of glass? well make sure its sterile, wash with boiling water i guess, and maybe with ethanol? (someone confirm this) Then just get a swab from your fish, and wipe it over the slide.

Then put it under the microscope :) This is just my random ideas, which ive gathered from school, so don't do anything until someone can come up with a better idea, or comfirm mine.

Hope I helped!

I don't have any of that stuff, I'm going to ask my mom if she could smuggle one home from work. I'm sure she knows what to bring, she's a chem teacher. Do you swab with like a q-tip?

Yep, a swab with a q tip might do it. Wipe the swab on the slide, then add a tiny drop of aquarium water and a cover slip (hopefully your mom knows what that is too!). I'd reccomend making a few slides, because it can be really hard to see what you're looking for on every preparation. Good luck! :)

I did a search online and I found a detailed procedure. I think I'll simplify it all (no koi-calm and i don't want to keep Oliver out of the water) but it said to whipe the surface of the slide against his skin, and a bit of his slime coat will come off. Wich is more effective, the q-tip or just using the slide?

Btwy, a q-tip is like a little stick with tiny condensed cottonballs wrapped on each end. They're used for applying make up and suck, but I think most people use them to clean their ears out lol. "Q-tip" is a well known brand, not the name of the object, but I can't remember what its really called. (Kinda like Kleenex is a brand of tissue but we al say kleenex) Maybe its called a cotton swab?? lol..

oh right lol a cotton bud :) lol ermm well wiping the slide against your fish...hmm well too me it sounds a bit risky its quite sharp and with your fish wiggling about everywere it may be better to just use a cotton bud :)

I did a slide once to see if my one gf, Walter, had any parasites. I used a popsicle stick and scraped it down his(oops her, lol) side and then scraped it onto the slide. Before using the slide you can pass it through a flame to get off any fingure prints or to sterilize dip in alchohol, shake off the excess, then pass through a flame. This is what we did in my college micro course. Since your mom is a chem teacher she should be able to help you focus and stuff:)

I found an old microscope in our closet!!!! But it is missing a slide cover. Can I do without one or is it necassary? My mom refuses to bring home any. :cry1

You should be able to do it with out one. We didn't use them at all in micro but all of our slides were heat fixed. It still should work, just don't get you lense right against the slide because then you will just end up with gunk all over it and you will see nothing, trust me, lol;)

you need to know what your looking for as well, i did some microscopic work as a uni student. Someone said about putting a drop of aquarium water on the slide? How are you going to tell what parasites/bacteria/whatever is from the fish and not the water? There are probably special agents used to prepare slides (i dont actually know) and keep the tissue sample intact, without interacting with any biological agents on the slide. Your mum might know, but i dont remember doing anything with microscopes in high school chemistry :P

Hi - I just answered on your 911 post -

I am PMing you a link that will help you alot.

Short points:

Sven is right - you have to know what you are looking for and you will likely need a reagent. But, you may be able to use some things you have at home!

You will also need to know the magnification of your scope and research the size of your "bug" so you can know if it will be visible at all.

You can do it without a cover! But, you will need to fix your sample.

I would definitely not scrape the plate against the fish, though! Check the link...

yah..I tried to do the microscope thing and it definately didn't work. I didn't know what everything did and never got a clear anything so I gave up and put Oliver back in the tank since I was just stressing him out.

Okay so the microscope experiment is still on! My grandma brought over a microscope but it only goes up to 300X..is this enough? Its kinda cheap..I was messing with it earlier and spun off two knobs lol. And my mom's friend heard about my fishy and went out to buy my tons of slides and covers yay! I've got a question tho. If I use a q-tip for the swab, can I swab his side under water in a shallow bowl, or do I need to take him out? I add a drop of tank water to the slide too, right?

I want to use a substance to experiment first before the actual thing...what is something good to use? Spit? lol..

Yah so I tried the spit thing...I thought I saw some really cool stuff too! But then I moved around the slide to see what else I could find and nothing happened. I took off the slide and it still showed the same thing!!! This is getting annoying. Its a cheap old thing anyways, it has a mirror instead of a light and doesn't use energy at all.

Hi Kissy,

I just took a wet lab a month ago with Doc Johnson..... What your going to do is use a cover slip to scrape the fish. Scrape gill cover and just behind the edge, straight line going with the scales. Scrape under the pectoral fin and down side, and tail/anal area making sure you get a lot of slime. The slide itself can hold three cover slips. Plastic ones are good for the slide covers. One drop of water on slide per slip. Squash em down. Start with the lowest setting, find the edge of the slide and move from there. Generally you have a coarse focus and a fine. Use the coarse until you see spots/shapes, fine tune with the fine focus. Use a piece of cotton, just pull off a few threads, and play with the adjustments until you figure the focus out, also the eye pieces should adjust and focus also. Scrapeing some algae slime off the side of the tank will also work.

40x will show flukes & ich, 100 x up should let you see things like costia, chilodenealla etc. Costia (100x-400x) is a small clear dot that moves like ants scurrying round helter skelter. Chilodenella, not too small, highly motile, heart/onion shaped, like it has this dip in it, best description is that it resembles a humans ear. The dead giveway is that it will shoot across, stop and spin like its foot is nailed to the floor.

Trichodina is highly motile, looks like a tree ring, sort of flying saucer shaped.

Ich, well, we all "know" what it looks like on goldies, however, in koi, can't alway's be seen.... So there's times it won't show unless its scoped. Scary is when you learn the darn stuff we also think of being stationary, can & will move!

Roud shaped, this cycst has a white strip that sort of resembles a nucleouse. The black moves like fog and yes, I've seen it actually stretch out. Docs movies showed one moving spots between other ich. Scary! :o

Flukes, there's two types. Someone said they remind them of a manatee..

You sort of have to learn to look through the water also. You can actually see sap strands in water so don't let that flip you out. They sort of appear clearish like, ghost almost.. Funny looking stuff....... Ignore the water/air spots too. Otherwise, look for things moving, especially if they seem extremely motivated. You also need to look quickly as the bugs can die within about 5 minutes or so.

Kissy, if theres a learning tree or like toy's are us, should be able to get slides and cover slips. Both sell scopes! :)

Okay, I've got lots of slides, some slide covers but no microscope. Hopefully my mom's friend can bring one in tuesdayish, but hopefully by then my fishy will be healed. I got some prazi and just dosed the tank early afternoon so hopefully I won't need to use the microscope. I'm going to save that post tho, Tamianth! Its very informative and I want to keep it on hand if a parasitic problem arises again :)

Your welcome kissy. And if you go to the koi dept, look for my post on the wet lab, there's a pic of a ich there. Vicky Vaughn had a tv monitor set up and the ich came off a gill snip. Its stretching out.... :blink: Your welcome to save that pic to if it will help ya! :) Oh, I think I can round you up some other pics too! :)

Better yet, go this thread:

http://www.koivetforums.com/forums/showthr...23&page=3&pp=15

The pics are down towards the bottom of the page. Hobby got some awesome pics off the scope! Go to page 4 for the fluke pic. :D

I think Dataguru has some book marked pages that show costia movies along with some other things. Might want to pm her also and ask! :)

Tamianth, cool discription on the little buggers! I was the one who mentioned the flukes resembling the manatee.

Kissy, once you get the hang of it, its really darn interesting to work with a scope. The pure joy is getting a few drops of pond water and see what little things occur naturally in our ponds. Now, that is fun! :lol:

Archived