Aquari-sol

Kissy

My fish is sick with some sort of microscopic parasite and I don't have very much medication. The only symptoms are yawning, two tiny red scales, and as of today lethargy. He may have internal parasites too because most of his poop is clear. Anyways, I have aquari-sol and a parasite medication by Mardel, but I think doing a net dip with aquari-sol would be easiest since my tank is not cycled. Any opinions on this product?

Guest squeeker

I don't find that aquarisol is all that good. I've never had it take care of anything, I always had to result to more powerful meds.

Thanks, I already have a detailed post in the 911 forum tho. Would be like double posting, or do you think I can find more med opinions there than here? Graham is sending me Prazi and it should be here in several days, so I'm hoping that Oliver will make it through. Is there is anything else I can do besides keep him eating the metro-med and keep the params down? Thanks :)

I have had aquari-sol work--but I have only tried it on ick... I did a bucket to bucket treatment... I have no clue as to how well it works in a tank... Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Do you know your water parameters?

Aquarisol is basically just copper. Copper is good for use in some aquariums, but not freshwater. I don't think I would try using it. It has no place in goldfish keeping. ;)

Hope this helps! :)

Paul

Isn't there a product called coppersafe (or something like that) that is based on copper? I've used it on ick before and a recue Goldfish died (the fish was really sick to begin with though)--but I've used it on one other rescue GF with only a bit of and it lived....

I'm just confused about why it shouldn't be used with goldfish, can you clue me in please? :)

Well, I can't pretend to be a chemist and totally understand the science behind it, but simply put, copper sulfate or chelated copper sulfate can precipitate in a fish's system (form crystals). Especially in freshwater tanks. Anyway, here's a quote from Dr. Erik L. Johnson about copper and freshwater systems:

Copper Sulfate should not be used in ponds or tanks with a low alkalinity, (which is separate from pH).

I think the best thing to say is DON'T use copper unless you have a marine system. In freshwater systems, there are safer drugs to do the same thing. In water with less than 50 ppm TOTAL ALKALINITY, Copper is fatal at therapeutic levels, depending on the type of fish exposed.

Bottom line, Avoid copper in freshwater, even those bottles of Copper Soap (Ma**el's Chelated Copper) which is completely useless anyway.

Lastly, copper is hard on filter bacteria, (let me tell you!) and also suppresses the immune fighter cells of fish exposed to it for any length of time.

That includes saltwater fish.

If you must use Copper there are details and a formula for calculating dose in various alkalinities in the book.

Thanks

Dr Erik Johnson

I got this quote from this page: FishDoc

I hope that helps explain a little bit. :D

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkk! I'm glad I read that post and I'm glad I asked you about that!!!

so never ever use it if your kh is 50 ppm or lower? and only only only use it in case of an emergency (i.e. like if thats the only meds I have and my fish shows ick on it after I spent ALL my money on my kids B-day?)?

uh. wait a sec. when I think of kh... thats the word that comes to my mind... kh.... but when I measure kh, what I'm measuring is total alkalinity right? or did I just confuse myself... that happens alot.

anyways, I think that it would be awesome if kokos could create a seperate page for that information. hey.... doesn't she devote pages for tip of the month? You know that place where buddy holly wrote about clove oil and euthanasia? this should be in there! (was buddys essay in tip of the month... or was it somewhere else? here I go confusing myself again!)

I thimk this copper info would be a gooooooooooood lifesaving tip of the month!!!

Yah, I've never heard of that one. Luckilly my kH is past 300 so I don't think I had any ill effects when I did use it. I've got prazi now tho, so I'm not going to take any chances anyways.

Cornfuzzeled, huh? :blink:

This should help:

KH (carbonate hardness) is the measurement of carbonates and bicarbonates in the water. KH can be precipitated from water by boiling and evaporation.

GH (general hardness or total hardness)) is the measurement of calcium (Ca++) and magnesium ions (Mg++) dissolved in water. But GH also includes KH. So, basically, if you test GH and KH, then subtract The KHppms from the GHppms, you get a reading for the amount of permenent hardness.

Permanent hardness (GH minus KH) takes the form of calcium and magnesium. Specifically, chlorides, sulfates, and nitrates. Copper, zinc and the like are part of GH as well.

Did that help any? :huh:

If not, check this page out: pH, GH and KH explained in detail

This is the same page that helped me to get a good understanding of what was going on with water chemistry a couple years back. I've learned quite a bit more since then and I still think its the best page out there. Besides a couple threads I've read at some of the better koi keeping forums, that is......

Paul

cornfuzzled!!!!!! hahahaha! never heard of that before! :)

okay, so I was thinking right about the kh, but I never knew about the kh+ gh thing! interesting!

See awhile back I bought a aquarium pharmaceuticals kh test kit... I've been using it for awhile now and then I notcied on the directions it said how to test for gh.... but I don't think a gh test bottle came in the box? Does anybody know if the aqua pharm sells both in the normal kit? If they did.... I lost it...

ooops :)

GOOD! I just figured I probably lost it!!! I do lose many things often... (I ussually don't loose my fish stuff though.. I keep it all in a footstool that has an opening lid! I bought it as a precaution to my absent mindedness)

thanks again paul.

Archived