Question

Roano

I have an oranda with dropsy, right now he seems to be doing alright as I have just completed on the 19th giving him Metro Med for the recommended 14 days. I've heard that if feed alot of midicated foods, the disease can become resistant to it's treatement, but I was wondering if his scales begin to raise again, can I feed him more Metro than the recommended amount? I'm pretty sure I can, but just wanted to make sure.

You should give the metromed a full 21 days when treating for Dropsy. It will be ok.

If the fish gets dropsy again just follow the same instructions.

While part of what you said is true they can become resistant, but on the other side if you don't treat for these long periods of time there is nothing else that works. So you have a desision, most fish that suffer relaspes of dropsy don't live long lives and therefore never really get resistance.

Make sense for you?? :)

Yeah, thanks Laurie. I feed him flakes for two days, so I'll just feed him the med for seven more days; does that sound okay, or should I start the treatment over since I skipped a couple of days.

Looks good after feeding him for 14 days; hopefully this will help finish his disease off. Thanks for answering.

Archived