A Question

Guest Effinmall.com

Guest Effinmall.com

I am new to this whole "fish" thing and I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong. My girlfriend won a fish at a fair the other day. We went out and got a 1 gallon tank with a filter, light, gravel and a plastic plant. I put some water in it, put the fish in and feed him about twice a day. The water is about 70 degrees (F) and pretty clear. I didnt do any testing on the water.

The problem is my fish only stay at the top of the tank with his head towards the top of the water. He also, floats alot, no movment, just floating.

Is this a problem....what do I do....

Thanks

EffinMall.com

Hi there, welcome koko's. :)

First of all, 1 gal is too small for just about any fish. I presume she won a comet or a common goldfish in a bag. They should be in a 10-15 gal tank. Even 5 gal is a better start for it than a 1 gal. Sorry, I can't stress that enough. Not your fault but so many times we hear about problems and it all starts with a tiny "all-in-one" plastic tank. :(

As for its behaviour, it sounds like it needs more aeration (more oxygen in the water). I don't know what type of filter is in the tank but I guess it is not working 100%. Add an airstone/air pump as a start. The water in the tank is probably going to degrade soon (even if it looks crystal clear). Starting doing 20% water change every second day. Look around for a cheap 5-10gal tank to relocate him if possible.

Good luck! :)

:) Hi,Welcome to the board. I also wanted to ask if you were using anything to take out the Chlorine/Chloramines/Toxic metals,etc. in your tap water before you added the fish to make the water safe for him?

Archived