Tragic Black Moor

colin tai

I was shock to see one of my black moor's eye had dislodged from its socket when i was observing my gold fishes as usual after having my meal. you can really see deep itton the eye socket and it looks very pitiful on the fish. I do not knwo how this came about as the black moor have been with me for the past four monthss. However, the black moor is still swimming about and eating normally althought i took care to feed him by giving pellets right in front of him so that he can eat them.

Has anyone encounter thsi problem b4??? I mean the eye dont just fll out of their sockets, right???

All I can say is maybe he got into something that could poke it out......posibly ornament, filter, ect.... Other than that I don't really have a slightest clue.... I really can't imagine the eye just flying out. I would give him a salt bath so it could possibly hold back infection in his eye area(.1%)? I really dont know what ealse to say, man, Im sorry.

gosh..maybe as solicitus mentioned he got hurt by an ornament? Maybe he got stuck to the filter....ouch..

Possibly another fish may play a part in this. Is there a terretorial issue in your tank. How many fish, how many galls?

Sorry to hear about his ordeal! I have heard of several people who have one-eyed fishies who seem to do just fine! The fact that you are here asking about it means he a chance for a great life, even with one eye :)

I don't mean to be gruesome - but where is the eye? Did you fing it in the tank?

It might help determine if the injury was disease or trauma, if you saw it...

Is there anything else you can see that looks odd - like tatteres fins (as if someone has been bullying him? Or sharp edges in your tank?

I hope someone here can help you solve this mystery. Follow up and let us know how he is doing!

To all the concern friends,

My black moor is doing fine now and eating normally. At first when i noticed the injury, the eye was still dangling from the socket and it only dislodeg completely the next morning. I reaaly feel for it :( .

In my 55 gal tank, i have two black moor, a pleco, two comets and three lion head. They have been living amongst themselves harmoniously for the past four months. I only have a barrel like ornament in my tank and somes stones for decorations. I dun think that infighting is the case as all the fishes do not have any injuries or tears on their fins. i will observe further and keep all you concern friends updated. a big THANKS for all the help.

I actually have a couple fish that are missing an eye,and they all seem to do fine-although I keep them together in the same tank so that they have a more fair chance of finding food.How big is the Pleco that you house in the tank,and have you ever seen him bother the goldies? They have been known to do that on occasion as the Goldies are sleeping on the bottom. I also have a Big Calico Oranda,that is a crazy piggie when it comes to food! I actually watched her feeding one day,and in her feeding frenzy,she actually sucked at one of my Moor's eyes as he came by too close when she was grabbing at food,so I'm wondering about that too. Are your Parameter's all in check?As long as water is Pristene,and regular water changes,and gravel vac's are done,fish can usually heal right up after an injury like that. Glad to hear that your Moor seems to be handling things well. :)

Is it a common pleco or some other type? if it's a common he's probably the culprit. Common plecos are generally a no-no with goldies because they(the plecos) like to munch on them! Also, you're just a teeny bit overstocked.

I don't think the pleco (about 5 in in size) is the culprit. It does not bother any other fishes and it keep to itself very much and only ventures for food when necessary. In short, it is a very quiet fish.

Further observation on my two black moors, it seems that their eye ball are so protuding that the might explode out themselves..... i really hope not. The eye that was missing, i cuold not find it anywhere...

When the black moor had lost one of its eye and with it dangling from the eye socket, i noticed that the other fishes were gathering a distance away as if they can hear the poor moor crying out. My first thought was to catch the moor and try to place the eye back hoping that it would heal itself in time but i did not do so as it such a sight that i really feel hurtfull..... :crp

Anyhow, i will be watching the pleco like a hawk as advised and also any other creepy sign from the other goldies.

Yep, gotta watch those plecos....they're all quiet, and then one day, BAM, they make a meal of your goldies!!! :krazy: Haha, sorry for being dramatic, but I had my pleco take out my fish's eye not long ago, very traumatic. I removed the pleco and everything's fine now, you may have to do the same.

Archived