Red Cap

Fantail

Well, my red cap oranda is kinda floaty, he seems to be kinda struggling to get to the bottom. but not to the extend where he can't go down, just that he floats slightly up.

Should i feed peas?

Thanks.

when my goldies are like that i feed em peas and its a very good rememdy, i also do a water change, because they get air in them when they are gasping for air at the top which makes em all floaty, so i change water

There are multiple common reasons that a fish may be "floaty". Dismissing any internal infections here are a few.....

First, many fish are designed that they have extremely deep, round bodies. They are rather short and round. This body configuration makes them more suceptible to floatiness. The digestive system is concentrated in one round area as is the swim bladder.

Secondly, any "damage" to the fish can greatly affect its floatiness. A fish that has been exposed to high levels of nitrite in a cycling tank seems to be far more suceptible to floating problems.

A fish that has the above mentioned body conformation, a fish that has had previous stress from high ammonia and particularly nitrites, as well as fish that have constipation or egg binding are all potentially floaty. High nitrate levels will often set them floating. I have had "damaged" fish that will start to float with nitrate levels as low as 20ppm. To this end, I suggest that you, first, test your water parameters and make sure that not only are the ammonia and nitrite levels ideal, but you probably want to lower your nitrates as low as possible for this fish.

Next, often expecially in the round bodied fish, the food does not move properly through the gut. If it sits and does not move, it can start to ferment, producing gas as a by-product. This gas in the gut can cause floatiness. Peas, steamed and deshelled, fed to a fish will act as a purgative and help move the intestinal contents along. This is the wonder of peas and many other green foods. It is suggested that you have at least 2 days a week where you feed greens exclusively to your fish - to keep all things moving inside them. If the fish is really constipated, fasting the fish for a day or two (longer for a large fish - shorter for a small fish) , followed by a round or two of peas will help clean them out. Sometimes, tucking a grain of epsom salt into a pea and feeding it to the fish will purge him nicely.

In short:

Most common ways to help a floating fish.....

1. Lower nitrates

2. Fast for a few days

3. Feed green, shelled peas

4. Add a grain of epsom salt into the peas

5. Salt dip - a wonderful purgative. - only if the fish is big enough and strong enough.

6. Raise the temperature in the tank by a few degrees - the intestines work better in warmer water - cold water can make the gut stagnate.

If nitrates are one of the contributing factors or the main factor in floatiness, it can take a couple of days for improvement to be seen. Green peas can work overnight. A salt purge can work within a few hours. Remember that a purge can occasionally cause a great deal of waste to be released into your tank in a very short time, so test and deal as you need to keep the parameters ideal.

Floaty fish can be problematic to deal with, but they can be helped and the problem controlled once you find the trigger. Acting early, before the float gets really excessive is essential.

:)

Thanks Daryl, I feed them gel food every week, sometimes once or twice.

The gel food consists of spinach, peas, tuna, carrots, bloodworms and lettice. I think that worked.

I just changed the water yesterday, and the parameters are fine, no ammonia, or nitrites.

Again, i appreciate the help of everyone. :):thanks

Guest Esareh

Wow! Mabey thats just what he wanted! "mabey if i float, i get PEAS! yummy!"

EDIT: sometimes i wonder if thier faking. if they figure out that when they float they get peas or something. I owuldnt dought it with them piggy goldies!

Archived