Sign in to follow this  
DancingGoldenFishy

Lionhead Or Fantail...

Lionhead are pretty and will match the oranda, but a fantail will also compliment the oranda. It's up to you.

To sex fish is a bit confusing, males will get tiny 'stars' or tubricles which look like white dots on their pectoral (front) fins and along their gills. Sometimes mistaken with Ich by new owners, they are similar but tend to stay only on the head/pectoral fin area opposed to Ich which are white dots everywhere.

Guest Esareh
When do males get the "fake ick" stuffs?

360769[/snapback]

When thier ready and/or wanting to breed =D

When do males get the "fake ick" stuffs?

360769[/snapback]

When thier ready and/or wanting to breed =D

360796[/snapback]

Hehe, so fish don't have to be physically ready to breed in order to want to breed? Sounds a lot like humans these days lol

Guest Esareh

well, im not 100% sure. but I dont think so. I dunno. Have to wait until an expert comes along.

Guest goldfishgirl

I think a lionhead would be good with the oranda. They'll look great together. Plus lionheads are so cute. I have two orandas that I got last week but my original plan was to get one lionhead and one oranda. If I were you I would surely go with the lionhead. Fantail lovers don't get me wrong because I think fantails are also an alsome fish too!

goldfishgirl

It's really up to you; I, personally, like lionheads becuase of their pudgy faces. I'd go to the store and look at both kinds and see if a particular one stands out to you. Let us know how it goes!

As for sexing fish, here's a link that may help, although breeding tubercles are more obvious on male fish and let you know for certain.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=18264

they r both really cute, if i were you, like roana stated, go to your LFS, and look at both of them, and from their colourations and stuff like that decide there :D

wow i wana come with you and pick a fishhhhyy:D

i'd go with a lionhead..i havent tried one of them before :) go for ittt!

Guest vivamax

Lionhead! I just got a lionhead and put it in my oranda tank. They all play happily and he is so cute. I have a fantail that I love but this lionhead has really stolen my heart.

definatly lionhead!! I just got one and their sooooo cute!!!!

And I think in order for the male fish to get their breeding tubricles everything has to be just right, ie. they have to be of breeding age(size, actually) & they tank conditions have to be just so.

i would go with the lion head. as they have said, they complement each other so much!! and theyre so loveable and cute!!!

I think a lionhead would be cute with your oranda What size tank do you have?

I think I'll get a lion head. They are adorable! My tank is twenty gallon. The cute lil lion heads and fantails at vvvv are so small! I can't beleive how big my oranda's already gotten! I got him when he was only about 2 inches long! (including the tail) Now he's about three inches long including the tail! And I've only had him for about 43 days! My gosh does he grow fast! My lil baby's growing up before my eyes! :cry1:) KK, I'll compare the fishies at the store. I love vvvv! All the tanks are really really clean! And I really want to get these goldfish that are about 8 inches long, but I want to get a bigger tank first (and they 're $30 a peice!!!) They have one lionhead and four fantails. So cute! My mother always gives me weird looks when I say how cute and adorable they are. Oh well. Aren't there any goldfish loving people in Montana! Gosh! I feel all alone here! This is the only place that I can find people who understand my passion for the lil cuties! Kk, I think I've typed enough for now. TTYL! :D

"I feel all alone here! This is the only place that I can find people who understand my passion for the lil cuties!"

I feel the same way.

Good luck fish shopping! Be sure to tell us how it goes!

It looks like lionhead's are becoming more popular lately :)

Yah I feel pretty alone too...BUT Tam might move near me YAY!!!!!!

Me heading out to vvvv tonight! Actually, in about an hour. Me can't get new flishy till I get back from the National o-mok-see in Vernal, Utah. It's a horse compatition. Party cool, huh? Me going to leave on the 23rd and come back the 30. New fish on about the 6th of August. I'll keep ya posted!!! ;)

I have a lionhead and an oranda together in a 30 gal. They are so cute together. :heart I love lionheads, they have so much personality.