Help Help Help

Guest cerwin

Guest cerwin

Hello everyone,

We have 3 goldfish that belong to my son. They are kept in a 5 gallon aquarium with no filter system etc.. We have rocks on the bottom of the tank and a couple little statues on the bottom. One of the goldfish that I have always called Mr. Bigmouth who we have had for about 3 years started laying around on the bottom of the tank yesterday and I was worried that he was dying. He has always been a strange fish would lay upside down on his side etc... started feeding him peas a while back because I had read on a site on the computer that that helps with gas problems in gold fish. Anyway today I got up and looked in the tank and all around the top edges of the water looks like hundreds of eggs. I immediately took out the 3 grown fish and left what I am pretty sure are the eggs in the aquarium. There are two eggs that look like there are baby fish coming out of them and another egg that looks like the tail is sticking out of it. I have had goldfish on and off my entire life but have never come across anything like this before. I am really excited about this and want to do what is best for these babies. I have come to figure that Mr. Bigmouth must be Mrs. Bigmouth now lol. Anyway any help that anyone can give me to help me get thru all this would be greatly appreciated. By the way the eggs all look clear no color to any of them and some of them are very small. Almost look like air bubbles around the edge of the tank. Thanks again and I hope to hear from anyone who can help me. Carla :D

Congrats!I'm waiting till mine have fry too.Only the clear ones are firtile.The eggs should be in temprature around 70 degrees f.First when the fry hatch they have yolk sacs attached to themselves and that's what they'll eat for the first few days.When the sacs are gone.You can start feeding them baby brine shrimp,boiled egg yold(crushed),or buy commercial fry food.Discard any dead fry or unfirtile eggs as they will grow fungus.Good luck hope all your fish eggs are firtile! :D

Guest cerwin

Thank you so much for getting in touch with me I really really do appreciate it. I am so excited about this and like I said want to make sure that I do this right. I had just went a few mins. ago and looked again and now there are 3 little babies and one with it's tail coming out. It is going to hurt that they are up along the edge of the water? And also how many days will it take for them to all hatch? Oh yeah one more question lol. The ones that I can already see how many days until they will be swimming? Thanks again. Carla

Your fish will start swimming pretty soon.They probally went to the edge for some air.I would probally take some water out of the tank with a jug or something so they can get to the surface a lil' faster.They are very very fragile.Take good care of them. :)

Guest cerwin

All the eggs that I see in the tank are around the edges of the top of the water. I am assuming from reading different info on here it is because I have no plants or things that could have attached to on the bottom. Do u still think I should take out some of the water since they are already at the top? Will they swim with that sack attached to them or lay dormant until that sack is gone? Again thanks for getting back to me.

The sacs will probally be with them.Keep a close eye on them.Since they are at the top you can wait till they hatch then remove some.You should add some plants to the tank since it helps clean the tank,something your fry will nibble on,and it helps oxgenate the water,plus it takes up some of the poop of the fish.So plants are really helpful.Look at the plant section for some info on the plants.

Archived