Replacing Biowheel?

SaneRedFox

Okay, here's the sitch. We just put the inside fish in our 55 gallon - outside. We've cleaned up the 55 gallon thoroughly with safe ingrediants (no cleaner-cleaners, just vinegar + water which actually works well with hot water), and cleaned the filter.

But the problem is, the filter has a biowheel. Should we change this biowheel? I mean, I think we should but I don't know, I don't want to spend money should we not have to..

but I wanted to come to you guys for a "professional" opinion. ^_^ So let me know what you think - change the biowheel before adding new fish

I haven't EVER changed my biowheel and it is still good and clean. So I wouldn't change it unless it breaks or something. Here's what I do. I take the biowheel and use the tap on full blast water and I shake it really hard under the tap, usually all this guck will come out of it. Keep doing this until you think it's all gone and then rinse it and let it dry completly and then I just stick it back in the filter.

Hope this helps! :)

Do not clean your bio-wheels, do not replace them unless they brake. The bio-wheels hold the most amount of benificial bactera, when you clean them you kill off all those and basicly crash your cycle. A well cycled bio-wheel will eventualy turn orange with muck, that's what you want though. Paul (Toothless) has a bio-wheel that's been running for 2 years straight that is COVERED in orange muck, but it's all the good stuff you want.

It's ok to wash the filter floss, take a bucket with tank water and swish them around and replace.

Here's great info on bio-wheels.

All about bio-wheels

Yes, yes, but I'm re-starting my cycle. There's no water in the tank. At all. And the same water isn't going back in, new water is. The same fish are not going back in, new ones are, and I'm starting a new cycle

Depends, is the bio-wheel dried out or still wet? If it's dried out then nothing is alive on it anymore so no worries.

I understand what you mean by re-cycling and the old bacteria but most of the diseases are absorbed by the carbon in the filter floss before it even touches the bio-wheel so the chances of having harmful diseases on the wheel itself is near to none. The pre-cycled wheel can only boost the time it takes to cycle your tank, so it's actauly a good thing, but if you're still worried then just start new, you know you're cycling again so it's just a matter of preference.

I get that some people do that but if you have a 55 gal then you know it can be a pain just to do water changes and I can just imagine what it was like to tear down the whole tank and start over. But theres another point I was getting at when I asked about if there was a disease in the tank before. I heard that there are some parasite, I believe, that can live out of water for a while and they just lay dormant

Could be, I've never heard of them but I'm sure there's one. Most aquatic parasites can be killed off the wheel (that is if they get to the wheel) in a week. Add sunlight to the mix and they can be killed off in a matter of days. UV sterlizers work in very much the same way the suns rays do, hence UV. To be even more controversial, there is no sure fire way to kill off 100% bacteria/parasites without using chemicals and risking poisoning the filter/whatever it is you're cleaning.

Archived