Rubbermaid Containers

I've often heard people on here and elsewhere say "use a rubbermaid container" if you can't afford a tank.

I have some extra filters......Hubby just bought me a 44 gal tank a month ago, he's not going for buying more tanks right now. But I thought to myself "HEY, why not try the rubbermaid thing".

Rubbermaid make some nice big clear containers.

So my question to you is, are there any disadvantages to the rubbermaid containers? Is there any reason why I should not do this? Or is it all good heeheehee.

I thought they would be great for growing small fish Huge, and by then I could get another big tank and move them into that and start all over haahaahaa.

Jessica

The only problem I had with mine was I could not see my

fish from the side. One got bloated on me and I lost her...

Otherwise it worked fine as a temporary tank.

Guest Luke Anderson

The only problem i had was the water evaporated a lot and i needed to add a little very day or two.

Make sure you do not house comets or other rambunctious fish that might be able to jump out unless you use netting or something similar.

I agree - cover it if your fish are jumpy. I have it in a well lit room so I can see the fish - and seeing them from the top is the same as the side as long as you are observant. Much of the rest of the world views their fish from above!

The only flaws I have found in a rubber maid container are

1. Cover your heater with aheater cover. I do this anyway to protect my fish from brushing against a hot heater. This becomes more important when you are using heat next to plastic. The water disperses the heat, but if your heater ever touches the plastic without the water it will melt!

2. If you have dogs or cats or small children, these open tubs can be a hazard. They are easy for a child to climb into, or fall into or (AACK!) add things to. The first time a dump truck goes swimming you will be sorry. A small toddler could drown. One of my cats likes to fish and another likes to climb in and soak and play. (Hair in the filter!) A dog will drink the water, and cause the level to be constantly off. Try to put your tub somewhere where your "helpers" cannot help quite so much.

Other than that, the tubs are GREAT! I keep a few around for emergencies and have been very glad I have had them.

I don't use rubbermaid containers, I have rubbermaid feeding troughs from a farm and tractor store in my basement. I moved all my fish in from the pond for the winter. I have two bio filters hook up to keep it clean. They all seem to love it!

Thanks everyone,

I thought about the kid thing actually =o). My tub is in the basement, so it's baby gated anyway. My cat's won't go near it, and neither will my dog. The dog is trained not too, the cats just have ZERO prey drive.

Sounds like I am good to go LOL

Jessica

Guest adrienne

Hi! This is not exactly what you are looking for but I thought any experience would be helpful.

I caught a mouse this summer in the apartment I was subleasing and I decided to keep it as a pet. As I had to move back to the dorms, I had to find a... discreet way of housing her.

So we went to nooppee and for somewhere around $7 I bought a CLEAR rubbermaid filing box. We drilled a bunch of small holes in the top, filled it with bedding, nest, water bottle, wheel, etc. and it's been the PERFECT home. Also easy to sneak in and out of the residence halls:) It even has a nice snapping hidged lid so with something slightly heavy on it (her tupperware of food) I don't worry about losing her (especially since after 5 months of eating and sleeping she's starting to feel the "call of the wild" again).

I would imagine that the volume is around 8-10 gallons and it would be excellent for one smaller goldfish. The lid, plastic quality, etc. would all be perfect and if I could get a water bottle to work, I'm sure a filter would be no problem (especially the Whisper ones, the ones I use, that have suction cups!). I'm actually tempted now to use one as a temporary option for my too-fast-growing goldfish though I honestly don't know if I have the room.

And so now I admit it.... in my single normally small dorm room I have two common goldfish and a calico fantail (in a 10galllon), a tiger barb and a pleco (in a 5.5 gallon), a betta (in a 1.5 gallon), a mouse in a file box, and rumors are, I have a crayfish in a bucket with some feeder guppies somewhere around here <G>. I also have a horse, but thankfully, not in here with me :)

~Adrienne

Yup.... I had a mouse named "Fish" since we were allowed a fish in the dorm. If anyone asked, I could honestly say that he was simply my "Fish". (He lived in a fish tank, also)

Archived