Please Help

Guest amanda01

Guest amanda01

Hi

I's joined this site in hopes that some one may be able to help me. I have kept Goldfish for coming two months now.

I have 2 Orandas,1 Fantail and a Mystery snail in a 25L tank. It has a biological filter. Last weelend I gave it a clean as my sanil could not keep up with the rate the algae had decided to grow, I also bought a couple of new plants because my fish just devour them. Anyway since cleaning out the tank (whilst maintaining at least 60% of the cycled water) my biggest oranda has gotten lathargic and sits on the bottom of the tank only to swim up when he is being fed.

Most of the time he just sits there and occasionally has a burst of energy just to swim drunkenly and then when it gets too much returns to the bottom. I have researched Goldfish diseases but have not noticed this as a symptom.

Incase you are thinking about my water levels, I have taken some water to the pet store where I have bought all my fish and the reports we 'normal'. The only other thing the pet store could recomend that my fish (Oschel is his name) is streesed, but I dont know why. Is there anything else I can do?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to any type of response.

well, i will start off by saying welcome to kokos!!

all i can think of that may be wrong with your fish, is that you have 3 fish in a 5 and a half gallon tank.

there is a rule here that says 1 fish per 10gals, so, as you can tell, you are mega over stocked.

the reason why your oranda may be lathargic, is because of poor oxygen levels. i am incredibly surprised that your water params came back as 'normal', as usually fish in small spaces like that end up having very bad water quality.

all i can suggest you do is

a) get a bigger tank ( at least 35gals) and if that is not possible streight away

B) try running an airstone through the tank, to at least boost those o2 levels a bit.

im sure some other people will give you some good advice!

good luck!

Hey There~ :welcome

Hmm well i dont know your oranda problem...perhaps its your water..it may be bad quality..and this post should be in the Disease Diagnosis/ Treatments section..

but your aquarium is very overstocked and wayyy to small at the moment..if you dont follow the general rule your goldfish will be stunted in growth...how bigs your oranda and fantail anyways?

According to your tank 25L which equals just around 6.7-7gallons...the general rule is 10gallons per goldfish and you have 3 which means you need to buy a bigger tank...like around a 30gallon to 40gallon so they will grow bigger and healthy...

the problem is probaly because of your overstockness...

hehe you beat me to it Tink rofl

and Amanda, if you go to the Disease Diagnosis/ Treatments inside their will be some details that are requested in a white box...if you could answer them, then that would helps heaps :)

Your fish Oschel does sound stressed. Is it scratching itself on the gravel or ornaments?

Two things I can think of. One, the new plants have introduced something nasty into the tank that has made Oschel sick with some type of internal infection. Are his fins all clamped tight to his sides?

Or, if the drunken swimming, loss of balance and lethargy were noticable immediately after you cleaned the tank, it sounds like your fish has hydrogen sulphide poisoning. HS is a toxic gas that builds up in the gravel, when the gravel is disturbed and a large amount of HS is released into the water the symptoms are the same as Oschels.

The last option is that your water parameters are not so fine afterall. It is a good idea to do your own tests at home on the spot. If you had the water tested a few days after Oschel started his symptoms, any chemical inbalance may have corrected itself by that time. Also, a test result of 'fine' doesn't really tell us much, we don't even know what tests the store conducted. It would be useful next time to have the pH, ammonia and nitrIte tested and ask for an actual reading that you can post to us.

Keeping 2 goldfish, a snail and live plants is too many living things for a 6gallon/25ltr tank to manage. Not the greatest filter in the world could cope with that bioload unless you are doing daily water changes of around 25-30%.

I strongly suspect that the cause of Oshcels symtoms is water quality. We like to recommend that goldfish need a minimum of 10gallons each to keep the water healthy and to have room to grow. Also, when you give your tank a 100% clean you are killing the 'cycle' of your tank. To read more about this click on "Tank Cycling" at the top right hand corner of the page.

I suggest that you do daily water changes of 30% for a few days and see if your fish improves. If you see no improvement please post back. You didn't mention this so please be sure you are using a water conditioner to remove chlorine, etc.

edit: marco and tinks, I was posting at the same time as you guys, sorry that I repeated a lot of what you both said.

Guest amanda01

Hi

Sorry to say that Oschel is still much the same. Although he is now racing up to the surface to take in air and then retain it for a little bit and then blowing a big bubble. And...now my other Oranda seems to be loosing a bit of his energy now too (his name is Moosh). So it seems I am loosing time to do my research. :krazy:

Well, tomorrow night is late night shopping so I'll look into buying some testing kits. (I only had a Ph test kit before)

In answer to some of your questions...no he is not scratching himself, yes, I have used water conditioner however the hydrogen sulphide poisoning sounds like it could be the case, is there any remedy to rectify this? The water is fairly oxygenated as the filter runs over the top of the surface and trickles onto the water constanly.

All my fish are about 4 to 5 cms in length so they are still fairly small, I heard that a fish grows to suit it's environment is this true?

Thanks again!

Archived