Determine Goldfish Disease ? Help

Guest guccibutterfly

Guest guccibutterfly

Hello all.

I'm brand new here and I need some help for my fisheys ...

I think my baby goldfish has fin rot or fungus, but I'm not sure ... I've been looking at various pictures to determine, but the quality is not great. Where can I find better pix of these diseases and remedies to help.

Tonya

aka guccibutterfly :cry1

Hi,

Many ailments are caused by poor water quality and it is important to know the things that are asked for in the white box above. Like size of tank, how many fish, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Answer what you can and the best thing to do right away is a partial water change. Here, we recommend changing out 25% of the water once a week. I use a siphon/gravel vac and then you add back fresh water with a good water conditioner to get rid of the chlorine. I use Prime but Aqua Safe is fine too.

Keeping high quality water is the best thing you can do for your goldfish. That is why we recommend space (a minimum of 10 gallons per fish), good filtration (much more than tropicals need--goldies are messy!), and weekly water changes. Don't overfeed, that can upset the balance of the tank also.

There are treatments for finrot/fungus but first it needs to be determined exactly what your fish have. Using chemicals can be harsh so if you can post a photo, that would be super!

Welcome to Kokos!!

:)

Guest guccibutterfly

Wow, thank you for responding soooo quickly.

Background ... The little fishy in question is a goldfish ... or perhaps a goldfish koi hybrid. My other fish had been lovin' in the fish pond!! :) He is exactly 1 year old. I took him out of my pond last year before the my other giant fish could eat him. I have had goldfish and koi for several years. They spend their summers swimming happily in their pond and winter in my home. The original .89 cent 1-2" long fishys from nnnnnn are now aprox 12" or more long and 3-4" wide! They are giants! At some point each summer I find little silver babies in my pond. I try to rescue them as I am sure my giants will eat them ... they eat EVERYTHING !!! :D

1 Beautiful Koi

4 Comet Goldfish

Only one little baby gold fish has survived so far. His name is "FishyFish" Yeah I know how original ... :rolleyes:

As he is growing fast I recently moved him into a bigger 10 gallon tank and got two little Red Cap Orandas to keep him company. I bought the tank, gravel, stones, plactic plants and castle at a local flea market. Everything was clean and looked good to use.

The two crazy little orandas are now inside the castle and rarely come out ??

FishyFish spends his time in upper right hand corner of his tank or behind the castle.

He has a small reddish mark on his middle and two lower fins near his tail are fuzzy white.

I'm not sure about the water and nitrate levels. My water is from a well, not clorinated city water. I will be going to Pets Unlimited this afternoon, so I assume I can pick up a testing kit there.

I just have a standard "Regent" filter.

The water is clear .. looks very good/excellent quality.

I have had him in this tank aprox 2-3 weeks. I have added new water, but have not had to change the water at this point.

I have been feeding him and the orandas "Wardly" and "Avant" goldfish flakes. They greed it right up, so no problems there.

I'm concerned about his disentegrating fins and the little reddish mark. As the orandas are in hiding in the castle I cannot determine how they look. I'm off to the pet store for disease remedies as soon as I hear back from someone. I also need to know if I can apply the disease solutions directly to the tank water. As FishyFish is so small 1.5" long I am afraid to apply any solution directly to him??

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Tonya

Tonya hi and welcome. Sounds like you have some healthy "nnnnnn" fish!!

With the tank problem, when you get the results of your water please post them, it will make it easier for us to help you. Just having the employees tell you it is "ok" or whatever doesn't give us the info we need to determine your situation.

Then I need to tell you that your tank isn't big enough for 3 fish. WIth gf it is 10 gal of water for each fancy (orandas, lionheads....etc) for comets or commons (nnnnnn fish) they need 20 gal each. So with this in mind I am betting that your water isn't very good.

WE have to remember that just because it "looks" good doesn't mean it isn't killing the fish.

Post back soon.

I think you might find that having those 3 fish in the 10g without changing any water has caused some problems. It would be beneficial to do a partial water change every couple of days as those 3 fish would sure dish out a lot of waste.

It is difficult to determine whether you are seeing a fungal infection or whether the fungus is secondary to a bacterial infection which is more often the case. While at the pet store pick up a 'multi-cure' type medication that treats both finrot and fungus. Oh, and those test kits are extremely handy, you'll wonder how you managed without them, it makes diagnosis much easier. Suggested ones to get are pH, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrATe. If you can't afford all of them, start out with the first 3 and get the nitrAte one later.

By the way, those .89cent fishies sure turned out to be a bargain!

edit: hi sandy, we were posting at the same time.

Guest guccibutterfly

Tank size firstly ... I have two 30/50 gallon tanks I can move them to. Ummmm ... these little fisheys were soooo small I thought a 10 gallon tank would be ok. Good to know.

My other fish are so big, on the advice of a friend I got a huge barrel to keep them in this winter. Much bigger than the tanks I have seen. I wish I could keep them in their pond, but Atlantic Canadian winters and all ...

I will advise PH and Nitrate levels later tonight for further assistance with FishyFish

Tonya

Guest guccibutterfly

Me again ... Still trying to determine the problem ??

I used the test strips I have for my fish pond to test the water in the aquarium. Everything ...Nitrates, Water Softness, Alkalinity and PH Levels are all at Ideal to Acceptable levels.

Please use the link below to look at pix of my FishyFish. He has a reddish sore area in the middle of his right side and the two smaller fins near his tail are cottony white.

I bought a package of "Maracyn" for Fin/Tail Rot and "Body Fungus" at the pet store. I can return it if you all feel I should use something else.

Pix of my sick little fishy

Please let me know As soon as possible, so I can help the little guy. Thankks !!

Tonya

I am not sure of the red, in some of the pics it looks like normal coloring, yet in one the red on his back looks darker.

How is he acting?

The strips are ok to test with, but not ideal for they don't say what the actual number is. Ideal we assume is perfect, yet acceptable can that mean there is some ammonia or nitrites present???? This concerns me.

If you could answer all the questions asked above this will give us some more to go on.

I would hold off on the Maracyn until we know for sure, because it can crash your cycle.

I haven't used Marcyn, (it's not available here) but Laurie has a point about if effecting your cycle, especially since the set-up is rather new and smallish.

In my opinion it definately looks like FishyFish has a bacterial infection happening. Also notice how all his fins are clamped close to his body, this is a sign of illness or bad water parameters. Do the other fish also have clamped fins?

If he were my fish I would start the marcyn treatment but do it in an separate container, around 10g in size if you can manage it. A large plastic storage container would do the trick.

I would set up the container using 20% of water from his tank and the rest fresh water. I would not use a filter although an airstone would be beneficial for water circulation.

Acclimitise FishyFish gradually to the new water conditions by placing him in a jug (or bucket) in his own tank water. Gradually, over a couple of hours, add small amounts of the new container water until he is in majority of new container water. Then transfer him to the container and add the medication.

Change a little of the container water daily just before you redose with the medication. If your test strips indicate unacceptable levels in the container, change about 50% daily before medication.

Guest guccibutterfly

I didn't see your messages until this morning ... I was so worried about Fishy Fish I already used two of the Mardel "Maracyn" tablets in his tank ... I'm supposed to use one every 24 hours for 5 days. The two little Orandas tails were looking a little ragged so I thought the treatment for FishyFish might have some benefit if something was wrong with them too.

All are well and look fairly happy this morning. They are swimming around and eating breakfast. FishyFish is too, but he's staying mostly to the upper right hand corner of his tank.

Poor little guy, his back fins are just about gone and I see a couple of more red streaks on his side.

If this treatment works, will his little fins grow back ? :huh:

Tonya

Archived