What Additives Do You Guys Use?

Guest LamLam

Guest LamLam

Hello,

just wondering what y'all use in your tank. i have read that the stress coat by aquarium pharmaceuticals is not good cause it contains aloe. so now i moved over to prime. i was just wondering what detoxifiers you used and why. And also anything else you put in your water to keep it awesome!

-Lam

i just use a plain old dechlorinator, if i need to medicate they go into a smaller hospital tank. Imagine medicating a 110g tank! I've never had any problems with water quality by just using a dechlorinator.

i use this 'tetra' aqua something declorinatior.. and the same make does a freshener solution.. but i dont use that much as i do a lot of water changes..

i also found this stuff called 'diseasolve' its bright green and for treating pretty much any ailment in fish, its kinda old as i found it in my garage covered in dust, but its amazing, a few days and the fish are looking greater than ever.. it even helped my common to grow back half her dorsal fin in a matter of a few days!!

I started out with Ammo Lock, but then heard about Amquel+... now I have moved over to Prime, since it is WAY more efficient & cost-effective (you only need a tiny, tiny bit compared to the dosage of Amquel or AmmoLock...).

I've only heard good things about Prime :)

it smells GREAT too... :P

Ahhh the lovely Prime smell...isn't it great?! :teehee I use Prime too and that's all on a regular basis. I try to separate too if medication is needed unless I think they have all may been exposed to something. :)

I use aquasafe,too. I just found it out about a week ago, before that I was buying those rideculously expensive tiny bottles! <_< . I was at mmm and I saw this fluid that guarantees no water changes for like a month or two. I wonder how that works? :blink:

360610[/snapback]

You shouldn't get that stuff and not change water, changing water not only lowers chemicals, it also adds minerals to the water.

And aqua safe i heard neutralizes certain metals that plants use, so i don't use it.

Thank you sollicitus, that was very helpful. Prime sounds very close to Amquel+ but you use less and it gets rid of slightly more, the only draw back some test kits are not compatible. Well, it's worth trying out.

I use Prime too and whenever I'm changing water or something and someone is with me who hasn't helped (or watched) I always tell them how good Prime smells and make them smell it... LOL its great :)

One person actually gagged at it :lol: and when I let my 3 yr old niece smell it I asked her if it smelled good and she was like yeah it smells like strawberries :rofl

One person actually gagged at it  :lol: and when I let my 3 yr old niece smell it I asked her if it smelled good and she was like yeah it smells like strawberries  :rofl

360844[/snapback]

Oh you're evil! :rofl that reminds me of this one girl, she must have been 7-ish. I was watching her and it was time for me to leave so I get in the car and, for some reason beyond me, she sniffs the tire, looks up at us and says: "Mmm, those smell good." :tomuch: Boy, she's a cutie but has a few oddities.

Ah, I used to think the Amquel+ was rotten so I threw a 4 oz. bottle out and bought a new one, only to realise that's how it smells. Like sulfur. Why though?

:rofl I guess some people just like really odd smells

I love the smell of gasoline and some find that very odd but come on now I do live right next to a gas station, how can you live here and not love that smell :idont

Guest LamLam

i just barely switched to prime cause of all the things it does. i use to use stress coat by AP, but i heard that aloe eventually screws up the gills.

Archived