Would This Be Harmful?

I've been wondering lately, that if instead of just pouring my dechlorinator and other additives right into my water, if it would be harmful at all to pour it directly into my filter? I have a couple of Bio Wheel 350's and I thought I could open up the top hatch and pour it right in and maybe it would filter through all of the water faster. Am I just thinking about it weird, or does anybody else done this?...Thanks!

I dunno but I just dump mine into the water flow as it is entering the tank or just before I start to fill. I've been doing it this way for about a year without any probs.

I figure the force of the incoming stream is mixing it up & allowing the water to be treated quickly.

:D

I am always leary of pouring concentrations of anything directly into the filter. Your filter contains the majority of your beneficial bacteria that cycle your tank. They are living creatures that are sensitive to changes in their environment.

You would never want to pour salt, medications or anything that dramatically changes the water's conditions directly into the filter for it may injure or kill some of your cycling bacteria. I never add "new" water directly into my filter, nor would I want to pour water that contained a concentration of water conditioner through the filter, either. I do not know how much effect water conditioners would have on the bacteria, but you would be using enough to condtion the whole tank, yet it would be, for a time, concentrated in the filter.....a concerning possibility.

I guess I would suggest that you do not pour it through the filter, unless you have conditioned only the water you are replacing, not enough for the entire tank, and you have pre-mixed it before adding it...... :unsure:

Adding it to the flow, as fisharenewtome has suggested seems to be the ideal solution.

:)

Archived