Oranda Acting Strange

mrbowlerdude

I've had my oranda for a couple weeks now, I just love watching it and everything has been going quite well. I changed 10% of the water yesterday, and today its seems to be hovering either in the corner under one of my plants, or on the other side of the tank right above the other plant. It used to swim around the tank all day. It will still swim around, but it hovers for 10-15 minutes at a time.

It also had today a very long white thin poop trailing behind it, about the same length as the fish itself. I'm very new at keeping goldfish and researching every day so nothing goes wrong. Anyone have any ideas on what to try? My black moor seems to be doing just fine, and is as lively as ever. I'm going to go buy a test kit for my water tomorrow.

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gal, month

How often do you change the water and how much? weekly, 10%

Filtration? Aqua Clear Filter

Water additives/conditioners? Tetra Aquasafe

What do you feed your fish? Fish flakes soaked for a couple minutes, peas

Medications add to the tank? none

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 oranda, 1 black moor, 3 tadpoles

Any new fish added to the tank? black moor 3 days ago

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus Any unusual behavior? Nothing besides the hovering and the long thin poop.

Hi, mrbowlerdude, :welcome

I can think of a couple of possibilities that may be causing the behaviour of your oranda.

First of all, because your tank is fairly new it could still be 'cycling' and your water parameters may be toxic, either that or the addition of the new fish has temporarily overloaded the system. I gather you do not have any water test kits but these are a great investement. The basic ones are pH, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte. Another option is to take a sample of your tank water to your pet store and ask them to test it for you. They usually do it for free. (just another way to get you in the door :lol: )

To read about cycling and how these chemicals interact in your tank, click on "Cycling Tanks" at the top right hand corner of the page.

In the meantime to counteract any chemical inbalance I suggest minimum of 20% daily water changes.

Lethargy combined with long white poos can indicate an internal infection. It is possible that your oranda has caught something of the new fish (or even the tadpoles, heavens knows what microscopic nasties they may have brought along with them). I think it will be necessary to treat your tank with an antibacterial medication, this may harm the tadpoles so I would remove them. I'd keep them out permanently, imo, anything that comes from a natural source, even plants, can harbour parasites or other nasty germs.

Can you tell us which country you are from and someone will be able to advise which available medication is the most suitable. Thanks :)

Archived