Warm Water Effects

Kissy

When you have higher temps, 70-80ish, our goldfish have a higher metabolism and more energetic. The draw back is that they have a shorter lifespan, like you said. In cold water, 65-50ish, our goldfish have a slower metabolism and move like turtles, the good thing is they have a greater lifespan, meaning we get to enjot them longer! :heart:D

really snails!? :crp im breeding ramshorns at the moment in the hope that my lfs will buy them off me when theyr nice and big.. as they do sell them for ponds.

but iv been keeping the heat in their tank up as i figured they will grow faster.. will they die before they get to a good size if i carry on like this?

sollicitus_witness, Your temp isn't really too high. Mine is usually around the 74-76 mark too. I think the shorter life spans, etc. is constant 80 something temps. Sometimes it can't be helped a whole lot in the summer, but that isn't an all year thing, so....

The snails would probably be better off in cooler temps since they don't have a long life span anyway, x-Lucy-Fish-x, but since your just giving them time to grow before selling, I would think it will be ok. :)

Guest Esareh

mines around 80 degrees. opening the windows wont helf. Humidity makes my room SO hot.. Wait... were the onlyones that can feel humidity right? but still, its raining (thanks hurricane dennis) and water+room=mad mom

My tank is about 82 F in the summer, and the fish are very energetic, there is no way for me to fix this, the AC doesn't lower the temperature.

GF can actually survive up to 90F believe it or not, but it is best to keep them in the high 60's / low 70's if you can. If the tank temp rises above 82F I would cool it off by floating large frozen bottles of water in it, or by leaving the lid up and directing a room fan across the surface; this will knock the temp down several degrees through evaporation. :)

Edit: Forgot to add, the real killer of warm water is lack of oxygen, as warm water holds MUCH less O2 than cool, so the fish can quickly suffocate in warm, still conditions. If the temp goes above the mid-70's then start aerating the tank with everything you've got; I usually run two 12" bubble wands plus another airstone and open both filter venturis to full blast. You're aiming to get the surface absolutely roiling, as this will ensure the water is oxygenated enough.

Is there anything I can do if the temp is 85ish for most of the year? I can leave part of the lid open for evaporation, and I have a fan in my room, but I don't think I can really do too much else ._.

For the 29 gallon, I've got the waterfall type filter that splits into two falls and a 12" bubble bar. Is this enough air?

Well, if you think about it, 85 is a lot warmer than 32... go put an ice cube under tap water. You'll be surprised at how quickly it disappears. The reason they survive in a glass is that there's not very much liquid, so the liquid cools as opposed to the ice becoming warm.

Archived