Betta's

Marco

i just need a quick answer ..are bettas capable of living inside your goldfish tank with your goldfish??

and do they need any special treatment since they are in with the goldfish ? or can i just grow them as i do with goldfish???

quick reply would be good..!!!

thanks

marco

Guest Chishower

I will admit, it has been done but its too risky. Bettas are aggressive fin nippers, and can damage your goldies fins, if the goldies dont hurt them first. They also dont like currents as much.

Besides, you could only have one betta in there, they can only live by themselves except in some extreme cases by experienced breeders. Not to mention that they are tropical, and although do live at room temperature with few problems it is just too risky to throw a betta in there.

But they are pretty fish to have by themselves, on your desk or such.

hmmm i just got home.. and im going to try my betta with my goldfish first and if anything bad happens then ill take it out...coz i have 2 more plastic tanks i can use for the betta...so its all good :)

they need heaters ?? what for ?

Guest yabbie

They're from Thailand, they're tropical fishies, they like warm water and lots of humidity. Are you in Queensland?

What's he like?

i have kept my betta with my goldies, and have had no probs. i just had to raise the temp slightly for him. also you have to make sure that he gets some food and that your goldies dont munch it all!! good luck!!!

hey~

sorry yabbie but i live in NSW...its pretty much winter right now.!! so its freezing :(

my new betta is about 2 and 1/2 inchs long, has a white body but has very dull blue spots around him..well not spots...its just blue markings, red markings on his head area, blue fins from front to back..but in the middle of the fins its white colour...umm thats about it...he looks very very cool when his is Flared :)

ill get some pics in a day or two...

and yepp im definitly trying the betta in my goldie tank :)

im hoping to upgrade my tank to a 55gallon very very SOONN!!! yayaya i cant wait for that.

marco

Congrats on the :newfish ! I can't wait to see him from that description!

Personally, I like my Betta in a smaller separate tank just so I can see him better.

You could get Betta Bites (from Hikari or something like it) that float on the top - then feed oldie and Betta at the same time, goldie eats the sinking food and Betta eats his color-enhancing pellet. Betta usually are surface eaters so it's ok for them, as far as I kow. I don't let my goldie eat at the surface, though!

well my biggest goldfish started taking nibbling on my betta like every few seconds..so put my lil betta in another tank..unfortunatly my goldfish are used to the PH being around acidic but not too yellow :( anyways the betta wasnt looking so good so i added some salt and other medi's but he didnt make it..

Guest yabbie

Awwww, ######. I'm sorry to hear that.

I've found with sick fish if you put them in a smaller container add more stress coat stuff to the water from their tank and put it in an esky next to a cup of hot water to heat the esky (replace it every few hours), they can rest and relax in the warm humid darkness and recover a bit. Half a day of that, and they start to feel better than they would if left to flop around all over the place in a cold tank in a bit of a panic.

I forgot you have acidic water up there. Ours has a very low ph down here. He sounded like a well coloured marble too.

:(

Guest yabbie

Apparently they're dosing the water in Sydney with all manner of chemicals at the moment. Every fish owner up there is panicking and dechlorinating and filtering and boiling.

Melbourne has been in drought for so long and our water resevoirs are only at 60% mid winter but our water is still lovely and soft and hardly any chemicals.

I love bettas. I reckon goldfish are like cats... they love you when there's food involved but otherwise they tend to like to hang out with other cats whereas bettas are always having little mock games when their owners walk past and wanting you to move their food so they can attack it. Bettas are the dogs of the fish world.

If you want to try a betta again, keep it in a 2-4 litre container, get a halogen desk lamp ($12-$19) for warmth (put a lid on the tank for humidity - plastic file cover or anything) and maybe pick up a 5 lt bottle of supermarket water every week for water changes. You only have to change half every 3/4 days. Use a bit of airline tubing as a syphon vacuum.

The fish you bought could have come with diseases. Did you go back to the shop and tell them it died? Are your goldfish okay?

Hey~

when i was about 6-7years old me and my bro bought some betta's and back the good old days the water out of the tap was perfect so you didnt really have to condition it or anything. but now the water in sydney has lots of chemicals in it yes..

umm, yea did buy another betta..a blue colored one, looked pretty healthy..anyways i put him in a 3litre container and had a lid on it, but right now it is winter and it is freezing! when i bought the new betta i made new water for it conditioned it and salted it...when i checked my water it was sorta alkalined and i check the ph inside the bag of the betta to see what water ph the shop had..it was also alkalined..so i thought it would be o.k, i added him to the small tank..he was good for about 2-4 days when he started getting some weird white fur-ry stuff around his body..first it was normal and his scales started changing fluro greeny and the white fur or like dead scales started forming.

i tried to heal it but it was again..too late. he is also now gone..

i think the reason why my betta died again was the weather down here right now..it can get down to about 15 degrees in the morning :( and i had the lil tank located in my shelf which had no sun light..i know they come from thailand which is hot and why they need warmth..and it probaly frozed to death :cry

could bettas die from coldness?

i dont know...thats about all i got to say...

sorry your fish died but they do need to be in either a very warm room or a small heater added to a tank. they like a temp of around 80f, and they can die if its too cold for them. :heart

Guest yabbie

15 degrees isn't too bad. Admittedly bettas like to spend most of the day between 20 and 30 and some people say the temp shouldn't fluctuate but, I've been in Thailand and got chilly at nights, so I reckon a few hours overnight at 15 isn't that bad.

Did you go back to the same place to get the second betta, Marco?

You know what they call Velvet, which looks like a fungus is a protozoan parasite... a tiny tiny parasite. As long as your fish is kept in optimum conditions it should be able to defend itself against this parasite.

If it had this parasite and you took it home and put it in difficult water with no heat then the velvet would've taken over.

A fish without velvet would have probably just been really still and unhappy for the next few months until the weather warmed up.

Did you treat the water? You really have to treat Sydney water.

You need to go back to the shop you got the fish from and tell them both fish died and explain the fungus. Maybe they are buying from a dodgy breeder.

You need to find someone else to give you a healthy betta. Got to Slippery Little Suckers in Sydney and see what they have.

umm at the same time i bought my first betta my cousin bought a betta too and that was like 1week ago..and he has been putting the betta in front of a normal house heater because he doesnt have a fish heater...and its been living finely..no symptoms of anything...i seriously think its the weather that is causing the deaths...

well, if i get another betta, i think i will get one in the season of Summer..so the temp will be hot and not freezing for the tank.

Archived