Oranda Lionhead Won't Eat.

Guest zena

The ammonia level 2 nitrite 2 nitrite0,ph level 7,ph from tap 7.5 tried to feed it baby brine shrimp, peas, won't eat. Wardleys Gourmet Flake blend goldfish food won't eat. Swims ok but is thin. it's 2inches long and body is thin. Need Help.

Guest Chishower

Ok, your levels are high.

I would start out by doing a large water change to try to get your ammonia and nitrites down, your fishy might not be feeling too good with levels like that. How long has it been sense it last ate?

I agree with Chishower that your water parameters are probably making the fish feel ill.

Can you give us some more details, such as how big is your tank?, how long has it been running? how often do you do water changes and how much?, how many fish in the tank?, any new fish?

Fishmerised,I have a tank that is 19.5"x11 1/2"x10". , I had 2 for a month. This orand killed his friend,so he alone, I change half the water everyday. ,he is 3" in body size. I have tried his dry food, peas,and baby brine shrimp. I change the water last night. and he still swims fine,but won't eat. When he does he throws up his food. the ammonia level is o nitrite is 0 nitrate is 0 ph level in tank is 6 out of tap 7. Cycling is good but it disturbs this fish. He doesn't like it when I keep cycling the water. but I do. thanks,zena

Guest Chishower

I think thats a ten gallon tank, which is ok.

Your PH is all over the place, and if everything else is fine now and he wont eat then I think it might be your PH. Do you have any shells or driftwood in the tank with him? I don't know why it would be dropping so much.

Thanks to all that gave me answers. My Oranda,is not happy agin, I put freeze dried baby brime shrimp in the aqauarium, and he loves them. I know ot may cause constipation, but he s happy and so am I. He just doesn't like flake food,he loves fresh food. so I will try with peas this evening. Anyway thanks for all your help. Someone said Orandas are puppies with fins. They are high breds, andso be it. Thanks,Zena.

Oh zena, it's miserable when your fish won't eat.

I gather that you have ammonia, pH and nitrIte test kits, if so it would be useful to test everyday. When your tank is properly cycled the readings should be ammonia 0, nitrIte 0. A pH reading of 7 is fine, but preferrably not below that.

A month is still new in the cycle of a tank, for suggested reading please click on "Tank Cycling" at the top right hand corner of the page. Do you have a filter in your tank?

Archived