Cycling New Filter

Guest becky

Guest becky

I have a 29 gallon main tank and a 10 gallon qt up and running. The qt has a whisper 20 (105 gph) filter that has never been able to grow nitrite eating bacteria (it has a sponge) and my main tank had insufficient filter power with a Penguin 170.

The main tank does ok when it has both filters on it, but now the whisper is on the hospital tank. The nitrates are going up in the main tank and I am doing water changes 2-3 times a week.

I decided to fix the problem by getting an appropriate size filter (if only I knew of Koko's when I first aquired the fish). My Penguin 350 arrived today. I want to move the Penguin 170 to the qt tank and ditch the whisper, or just save it for an emergency.

Here is my question: can I keep both tanks cycled by keeping old grungy bio-wheel in the 170 (it won't fit in the 350 anyway) and moving the old grungy filter cartridge to one of the slots on the 350? Without the old bio-wheel, will the main tank stay cycled or should I leave both filters running for awhile? The tank has a good 1 inch layer of gravel in it.

It would be better to continue the water changes on the 10 gallon qt tank, then try to re-cycle the 29 gallon tank. So, I would prefer to leave both filters on the main tank for awhile if this does not seem like a good idea. :idont

Guest Chishower

You could just keep all three filters up and running so you have one for emergencies, you can never have too much filtration.

Guest becky

Well, I can always leave the whisper filter up on the qt for awhile. It has the ammonia eating bacteria in it for sure. And the penguin 170 will have the well aged bio-wheel. I was hoping that would take care of everything. No? :unsure:

I was more worried about the main tank having two brank new, pristine bio-wheels in it.

There is not enough room for all three filters on the back of the 29 gallon. So unless I keep the hospital tank up after the fish recovers ( :please ) I can only keep two filters up and running all the time. I will keep the 170 on the main tank and it will be ready for the hosptial tank when necessary.

I think if you move the dirty pad to the 350 you'll be okay. Between that and the gravel, you should have a pretty good base of nasty good stuff. You would do well to be on the lookout for a week or so for ammonia and nitrites, but you should be okay.

Guest becky

Thanks kortniee! That's what I was hoping, but I needed some reassurance before making the switch. I know the qt tank will be better off, but I certainly did not want to mess up the main tank.

I will make the move tomorrow and watch the water quality closely. I think going from 170 gph to 350 gph is going to make a huge difference for those fish!

Guest becky

Just an update. The main tank maintained its' cycle, without a hiccup! The dirty filter and layer of gravel had plenty of bio-bugs in them to keep things going.

The QT tank, with the addition of the old bio-wheel in the penguin 270, cycled in about 2 days. It did have an ammonia spike and pH crash, but 0.25 teaspoons of baking soda took care of that!

:D

Archived