Ceremonial First Test

I got the test kit today that my friend ordered for me for my birthday, so I used it since I was doing a water change anyway. It's the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master kit. I'm so spoiled.

In case you're wondering, I have a six-gallon tank (tropicals) and I do weekly water changes of one or two gallons. This test was before the water change.

Ceremonial Results:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate very close to 0 (!) ppm

pH 7.8

I hadn't tested my water since I moved out to my parents' house a month ago, cause I couldn't afford the kit. (I just did lots of little water changes and crossed my fingers... bad Courtney, I know.) I was really surprised that my nitrates were so low given that they've been building up for a week, but I only have two little fishies... and I'm not complaining.

And don't worry, the pH is always that high.

Woohoo!

Those readings aren't too bad at all. I had to think for a minute when you said the pH is always that high I was like 'mine is 8, that is not too high' then I realized you keep trops. :lol:

Well, it's not rediculously high, but I believe that some people would consider it a bit on the alkaline side. I had to use the "High Range pH" test for it. :)

Hee Hee - Then I am a dork, too becasue that's what I am asking for for Christmas!

Happy Birthday! :wish: (looks like your wish came true!) - What a thoughtful friend you have!

Amazing things happen when you trust your knowledge! But, it's nice having the kit :D !

I think that's a good pH. Most likely your tap water has enough buffers that partial water changes should maintain your pH over time. That's a good thing. :)

The only drawback of pH up around 8 is ammonia is much more toxic with higher pH.

Graham: My thoughtful friend has fishies too--a dojo loach and some assorted livebearers, I think. I haven't seen his tank as he lives in St. Louis.

DataGuru: I'm happy with it. The fishies seem happy and the pH isn't going anywhere, plus I have good ammonia-eating-bugs. (That's the technical term, you know.)

:D

Edit: Left out some words there the first time.

Archived