Tropicals For A Beginner

I am going to be moving my lionhead into a spare 20 gal I have soon which will free up my 10 gal. My sister wants to keep some tropicals in it so I was wondering what are some hardy, easy to care for tropicals for a beginner? How many tropicals can be kept in a 10 gal? Currently the only things which will be going in the tank are two white cloud minnows and probably a little clown pleco.

you could start with the livebearers, which are guppies, platies, and mollies. theyre all for beginners. as far as how many per 10 gallon, if you feel that they are in any way of crowding, youll know when.

personally i wouldnt put livebearers in tanks of that size. if you want hardy fish then tetras are a nice colourful change and watching them interact is a great destresser. i think getting two more white cloud minnows and maybe 4 neons would add some nice colour to your tank, but you would need a heater which im sure you have for your clown plec. how big is the plec? as most plecs dont stay small enough to live in a 10 gallon.

i agree with sandy, tetra are great littel fish.... lemon, xray, serpae, neons, ect etc all great and danios are super hardy, you can get a leapord print type too.

i would go for a shoal of about 6 maybe 8 and a good filter :)

i wouldn't go for live bearers either - if they breed to quick you'll be in trouble and overstocked, but i'm not a great fan of livebearers tbh. :)

thanks for the replies, they were all very helpfull:) We weren't planning on any live bearers because of the fact they tend to reproduce quickly :o Tetras and danios sound good. We saw some in the lfs and they looked neat:) Also my sister liked the tiger barbs, are these a no no for a beginner or for the size of tank we will be using?

sandy:my clown pleco is about 1 1/2 - 2" long. It is a very shy little thing, I have never seen it come out unless I move its little cave when cleaning. I have had it for a while now and the thing won't seem to grow at all. I give it an aglea wafer like every other day, but unless it is placed right in the cave it won't touch it. Once I put and wafer just outside of the cave and it was still untouched come morning.

if the plec isnt growing then it will be fine. if you want the tiger barbs then you cant get any other fish as they will nip them. tiger barbs are even aggresive amongst themselves and you will need at least 6 of them.

you want a gallon of water per inch of adult fish with tropics.

I would start with mollies and/or platies :) cute, friendly, colorfull and hardy

Archived