Crushed Oyster Shells?

Guest FishLikeSequins

Guest FishLikeSequins

I just read the Filters and Maintenence post and it mentions something about crushed oyster shells being used in a filter. I work as a line cook in an oyster bar and I throw out tons of shells every night (oyster shells for everybody!). Should I take some shells home to put in my tank? Do I need a media basket? I imagine I'd have to boil and soak them. What exactly do they do- is it just another place to colonize beneficial bacteria (which I need, my tank isn't cycled yet)?

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a line cook?

Oyster shells are used in tanks when the source of water has a low pH buffering capacity (carbonate hardness) and hence an unsteady pH. The (calium?) carbonates in the shells dissolve and maintain a pH buffer.

Hope this explains it.

Also, good luck in sorting out your tank before your hols.

Slugger :)

Guest Chishower

I guess bacteria would also grow in them, so thats another plus.

I think, not sure, that it might also raise your pH a bit. You could always try it as long as you keep a close watch. Just be sure to bleach and rinse them very well before hand.

Guest FishLikeSequins

Thanks for the input! I guess I don't need oyster shells, because my kh is around 300 and my ph is too high already :crp. Is there anything else you guys would recommend for growing bacteria?

oh- and a line cook is just a cook in a restaurant. The line is where all the food is prepared, they call it that because it's set up in a line.

Archived