Cheap Background For The Tank

Guest Rryeah

Guest Rryeah

I had a lot of books with ocean looking backgrounds as a smaller, and i was going to throw them away so i tore out the pages that i wanted, put plastics wrap on it and stuck it to the back of the tank. I did it cuz i went to the store and we thought that the backgrounds there were a bit expensive.....so has anyone else done something like this? :listen:

Good idea and yes I have heard of many members on here doing DIY things like that...I know there is somewhere on here that went to a chineese food store and got some kind of paper that had chineese letters on it and made that a background....There is pics somewhere here and it turned out very cool!!!

Maybe you could post up some pics of your new background?...would love to see it :exactly

I just kinda painted a piece of stiff paper a bluish color cause I just wanted something to be there, but not be distracting. I found that it worked very well. You can see it in this pic:

Fishies-10.jpg

Any chance you could post pics of yours? I'm excited to see what it looks like!

On my guppy tank I colored 2 pieces of paper with blue and green markers, just colored the entire thing, and taped it on. It looks really nice (sorry no pics) and it made their colors really pop

• 2 months later...
Guest JustJayde

Before I mirrored the entire tank I did make my own bg.....

I cut out coral shapes, fish shapes. etc etc etc in bright colors of construction paper and glued them onto black. It looked AWESOME.

but then I read how my fish might be lonely alone, so I took that down and mirrored the sides and back of the tank so he could see other fish........ I think it looks swanky

Lots of DIY backgrounds :)

• 1 month later...

All great ideas! For one of my tanks, I disected a large black shiny shopping bag, and then oiled it onto the tank. I was careful to get all the kinks and bubbles out, but later that day, as the oil dried a bit, I noticed that my whole backround had buckled. At first I freaked that all that hard work making it perfect was gone down the drain, but I quickly realized what a pleaseing effect had actually taken place. I ended up with this really neat ripple textured backround that had 3D effects.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made this for my tank in Photoshop from 2 pictures taken by the Hubble spacecraft and some random underwater picture!

tankbgcopy.jpg

I'm printing it off in sections and sellotaping them together ^_^ :D

Why not? All I would have done is made an unnecessary duplicate. I've been a member of enough forums for long enough to have learnt that duplicate threads are usually discouraged and most often locked.

And the last post was Jan 8th before me? That's not 2-3 months.

I have an 80 gallon that a friend of the family gave to me when I was about 13. He bought it in 1963 or 1964. Because it is big, the first time I put a back on it my dad took a piece of blue vinyl and achored it to a piece of plywood. It worked really well, cleaned easy by wiping off with a damp cloth.

Now I have a piece of pylwood on the back with a piece of blue formica that I special ordered from Home Depot. It cost me about $50.00. I got a laugh out of the look of the guys face when I asked for the size I wanted. He just couldn't figure out what I would do with formica of that size. What's cool about it, during the day it's a light blue, in the evening it's almost navy blu. the orange in my fish seems to pop with that for a background. I don't have to worry if it gets wet and it cleans up easy too.

• 2 months later...
Guest dcninja

I want to make my own background for my 29 gal that I will be setting up tomorrow... wife's mad I spent so much money on these 3 dollar fish... hahaha You should have seen the goldfish bowl she wanted to use for a goldfish, it was MAYBE 2 cups of water... sad... she just didnt understand because she had 2 black moores before that lived 3 years in a small tank... i dunno... I want to do it right, and when I get started on something, i tend to go wild and all out even if I can't afford it... in any case, my rant is over... any background ideas? I think if I print something from the computer and try to match it up it'll look tacky because I won't get it 100% correct... maybe some poster board or something? Is it true that the color of your fish is affected by light/dark backgrounds?

Guest dcninja

I found a nice deep red bath towel that I have... it's one of our good towels, but I'm using it, it matches perfect with the pink and purple/black gravel in the tank now, and the mirrored glass rock things offset it nicely, the towel is PERFECT... i'll probably have pics when everything is up and running and I have time to take them...

So where are the photos of all of these cool backgrounds?? I am still looking for the ultimate background. None of my tanks really have one, and one has a clock in it! we put it between the tank and the wall . The fish just swim around the clock all day. :D It's tacky, and I need something better.

Archived