Fancy Goldfish Wont Eat.

Guest zena

Hes in a 10 gallon aquaium and has been here about a month. He a fany goldfish and really sensitive. I have Wardley Total Goldfish food,he keeps spitting it up, I was wondering what to do?

umm i dont know what wrong...it may be the water quality? or something else i have no clue..

what kind of goldfish is he anyway?

i think you might have a red cap oranda there :) their great goldfishs own...

anyways...what equipment you got for your aquarium?? filters, airpumps etc ?

Have you watched him for awhile after he spits the food out? He could just be tearing it into chunks and eating it later; my goldfish often regergitate their food and then swallow it again.

Try feeding him other foods too, like bloodworms, baby shrimp, or peas. If you feed peas, you can get the frozen kind and thaw them in the microwave, then pull the skins off, mush them up and feed them to your fish.

Does he seem to be getting slender or skinny, or is he retaining his normal shape? If he is, he probably just eats his food later. Is he in a cycled tank?

Roano, He ate some of the frozen baby brine shrimp.I guess he hates the flake food. but I know I can't keep on the brine shrimp,so he's a fussie eater.He is 2 month old, and by the way he eats, he won't live very long. He still looks skinny,he doesn't like me to change or add water evryday. I am suppose to.But its better if I don't fuss with him,I guess. He's the boss. Thanks for your help. Zena

I would try pellets, maybe. Just make sure to soak them before feeding. Maybe, you could mix the brine shrimp in with the flakes for him, and that might entice him more.

Goldfish will never go off there feed for no reason. It is highly unlikely he is just being 'fussy'. It will be best if you post this in the Desease and Diagnosis section, and answer all the questions in the white box at the top of the reply page. (you will see it once you go in and try to post)

yes i think your fish is just being fussy, my smallest pearlie did this, i think she was just being fed other food and never had flakes before, but now that she is in with other fish and much bigger then her, she isnt that fussy anymore and eats up very quickly, so maybe she will get use to it, or you could change her food to a pellet or crumbles, and it's funny cos i was feeding the same flake as you when mine was fussy to. :D

I'm wondering is it that your fish is just a baby and wasn't fed flakes before. I would do what was advised earlier feed a little flakes in with the brine shrimp. I think he'll catch on! (But you still want to make sure your little fella isn't sick!)

You said that your "supposed" to do daily waterchanges... got me thinking, how big is your tank? Normally you wouldn't be doing daily water changes if the tank is the right size. So maybe it could be other things, ammonia etc. Do you have test kits for these?

I want to Thanks everyone who as given me help with my problem with getting my redcap Orando fish to eat. I have tried all your suggestions. I wish I could put him with another Redcap,but he killed his partner. So after that I bought him an 10 gallon.,and I hope he will be O.K. I get so attached to pets,I hate to see them sick or die,as all of us feel. Thanks very much again, and I will comeback. Zena

Guest yabbie
I wish I could put him with another Redcap,but he killed his partner.

360221[/snapback]

It seems like homocidal (goldiecidal) goldfish are on the rise! :(

Good luck, maybe he's unsettled about the water or something. Do you add a water conditioner? Murdering and being off food are signs of being fairly (understatement) unsettled.

Archived