Thinking Of Buying One

Marco

Hello~

im thinking of buying a betta tommorow and i need to know what to look for in betta's... i want to know what aspects of a betta is good .eg stuff like fins and mouths good and bad, abnormal stuff on bettas if there is...if ya know what i mean...

i wanna buy the best one at my LPS

i just need to know what to look for ...yea

marco

As for health, look at their fins to make sure they are not frayed or look chewed up. (unless they are crowntails) Make sure their color is good too. Some bettas are naturally a duller color, but some could be sickies. See how they interact with eachoter, flaring is good :) Peek up top to see if they are building a bubble nest because that is a sign of good health also. (Flaring and bubble nests are for males only) You can also stick your finger in the little hole in the top of the cup. They think they are being fed, so if they look up and move around a little, that's a good sign too.

Have fun betta shopping! There are so many varieties and colors. If you have more than one petstore near you I'd check out both. I have two vvvv, one is horrible with their bettas...they all look dull, ragged and sick, and are horribly inactive. They never change the water either. The other vvvv takes good care of their bettas and boy does it show! Clean water, active, colorful bettas :D I even saw them cleaning the cups when I was their last time :)

You want a fish that is alert. You want to see it swimming around the tank enjoying itself and not sticking to the bottom.

You want the colours to be vibrant, although some betta's have dull colours naturally. You don't want there to be any fungus or discolouration on the fish. Any cotton-like stuff in the mouth or on the body is bad. Any red streaks or blood spots is also not desireable because something will usually be wrong with the fish.

http://www.bettatalk.com/images/opaque_male_4_web.gif

http://www.gpas.org/2002_show/all2002pics/...0and%20Blue.jpg

To me, these are 2 very nice, healthy, happy betta's. Good luck and let us know how things go! :)

thanks for your replys both of you's :) i now know what too look for ..

i got about 8! i say it again i got about 8 pet shops around my district!

im going out right after this post to go searching for the bettas! oo i cant wait !

are you really allowed to stick your finger in the top to see if they look up and move alittle, kissy??

those are good looking bettas them 2 yes ... :D i shall look for something like them...im hoping to get a full white colour one.

wish me luck~!

Guest Chishower

Nobody has to know if you stick your finger in.

Ah..betta talk bettas. If only I had money to splurge...her green and gold bettas are soooo pretty...*drools*

Look for smaller bettas with smaller, healthy fins of you can. They tend to be younger, as males dont develop full finage until they are 8 months-1 year old.

Guest yabbie

They travel well from 10 months old so most of them in the petshops are around a year old or older.

If you go to bettysplendens.com you can see all the different fin types and what is good about them.

"are you really allowed to stick your finger in the top to see if they look up and move alittle, kissy??"

Heh, I did. I don't see anything wrong with it. It just checks to see how responsive they are :)

well ok, i did go to the fish shop and i saw the one i wanted , i put my hand just over the lid but didnt put my finger in, and it reacted to it..so im guessing its a good sign...

and i bought it! ill get some pics soon!

Hooray! Congrats on your new betta! Bettas are wonderful fish and so much fun! Welcome to the world of betta ownership!

yepp, i gotta thank you kissy for your amazing tip!

and thank you kortniee and Maceo for your warm welcome to the betta world hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived