Can Goldfish Feel Their Fins?

hulo.. i was thinking.. can fish feel their fins? like do they have senses in them like fingers or are they more like finger nails, i think i was wondering if they can feel fin rot or not.. :huh:

I actually saw one of my fish catch his tail fin in an ornament and tear a big split in it. He most definately felt it, he was darting all over the place in pain. He settled down after about 10 mins.

That is a really interesting topic. Before Minogue died, he lost like a whole fin! I couldn't tell if it wasn't for how hard he was widdling to oush himself. OUCH Fishmerized that seems painful just reading about it!!!!!! Poor guy! Since it is bones and live tissue, it is hard to imagine how they couldn't feel the pain. What is that spinothalamic tract you are talking about? I am guessing it has some revelence to the nerves???

I don't understand how the whole pain thing works in fish. They definately are sensitive on the outside, as I have seen. It would be a necessary part of survival I would think. How else would they know if something was trying to take a bite out of them? They would just sit still and let the predator munch away.

Perhaps they don't feel internal pain the same way we do?

Well, not having a spinothalamic tract (a mammalian trait) does not mean that goldfish do not feel pain - there are many other paths, thalamic and non-thalamic, the convey the sensation of pain.

To paraphrase the following article - the question is not whether goldfish feel pain but what type of pain do they feel (which would be indicative of the neural tract/neurotransmitters in effect).

Check this out:

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~aquacentre/aec...fishwelfare.pdf

Dense but quality!

(For those who were interested in the Memory discussion - check this out, too, especially the part on Limbic Sys.)

Hey Fishmerized - I just checked and it's ok from my end - it's not a special website... I even e-mailed the link to another address to see if would work - it did - :hummm

The article is in pdf requiring a adobe acrobat reader (or some other such thing) what a pity if you can't read it - can anyone else open the article? :unsure:

Archived