Swimbladder - Floater

Guest Astiria

Guest Astiria

Hi all.

Not been here for many months but have been very unwell myself!

I have had an Oranda and Oranda/lionhead cross for about 6-8 months. I keep the water at the recommended qualities and feed them flakes and sometimes peas. In all this time the Oranda is fine and so is the cross except that she spends most of her time at the top and during the day struggles to reach the bottom.

I soak the flakes (if not she floats upside down for a few hours) and feed small amounts 3 times a day (just cut this to 2 times). First thing in the morning she is fine and can swim top bottom or where ever she chooses to. A little while after feeding she is back at the surface where she seems to spend her whole day (she does not gulp air but rather seems to occassionaly whilst looking for any surface food).

She is fine in every sense but I feel sad watching her float at the top (happily???) whilst the other is up and down in the water as you would expect.

She also tends to swim slightly on her side when like this but fine first thing in morning!

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to permanently cure chronic SBD. I definately agree with cutting back on the food..3 times a day is too much. Ideally, you only want to feed a small bit 1-2 times a day. If he gets the symtoms daily, then I think you can only be sure to keep perfect water quality and offer a well balanced diet (soaked foods...maybe try another type to see if 1 type is better than others (or even try gel foods (see the recipes under the Goldfish food section) ) ). Keep up with the peas since that will help clean him out. I've also heard Epsom salt can help when conditions are bad but I would not suggest this on a regular basis...unfortunately, I can't remember the dosage so maybe someone else here can provide that info.

" Can't remember the dosage so maybe someone else here can provide that info."

I think it is 1/8 per 5 gal, but I've also heard it is 1/8 per gal, but have even heard salt may not help with SBD. Sirulina does help, however, and frozen blood worms do to along with more vegtables. Like Fishyfan said, try making a homemade gel food.

My fish has chronic SB too, and I was wondering about the effect of salt on fish with SBD; here's my thread if your interseted.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...lt+Swim+Bladder

Archived