I Just Don't Believe It.

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

I am just devistated. Having bragged about my quick grownig Blackmoors yesterday the following happened;

Sue, a buetiful black and white goldfish started to attack Sooty last night. She was "biting at his tale fins and was really vicious. I taped on the side of the tank and she vswam away from him. I kept watch for about an hour and as she semed o have calmed down I went to bed.

When I got up this morning Sooty was lying dead at the bottom of the tank with most of his tale fins missing.

I am so shocked. I had never heard of fish killing each other. Sue was introduced to my tank three weeks ago and they seemed on be geting on fine.

I am so worried about Sweep now I am preparing another tank for him but need to cycle it before transfering him. Is there a quick alternative to sepperate them while that is done?

Guest yabbie

That's just bizarre! I've never heard of that. What kind of goldfish is Sue?

If you take part of the gravel and all of the water for a smaller tank and maybe the filter, you might be able to maintain the current cycle in both tanks.

And sorry about Sooty. :(

Oh no - that's horrible :cry1

The only time i've ever experienced something similar was when i stupidly purchased a comet (my first foray into fishkeeping) and put him in with my 4 little goldies... he was aggressive and would chew on my little blackmoor's fins :angry:

I ended up giving him back to my local fish store and the guy who works there (who is also a fish breeder) said he wished he was there when I purchased the comet as he'd have said DON'T! He had noticed these guys were a tad aggressive.

My little moor nearly died from the wounds and that's when i experienced my first use of salt....

I'm so sorry Phil - and sadly I don't think he'll be any easier on your other fish :(

PS - I agree with yabbie - sounds like a good plan :)

Guest Bigphil

Thanks Yabbie.

I am not sure what type Sue is. I really wish I could get my camera sorted.

She is typical goldfish shape, you know the sort you would win at a fair!

She has a small tail fin, single dorsall fin and 2 small fins on her underside towards the back. The only thing that makes her stand ou from others is her color. She is mostly white (or silver) with a few black patches and an orange patch over one eye.

I had an idea. I wonder if I could somehow have a piece of glass cut and devede the tank in half?

Has any one tried that? Any hints on how to do it?

I still am in shock at what's happened. Has anyone else experienced this?

sorry about your fish. :heart

goldfish will attack slower fish im afraid, maybe the goldie liked the taste of the fins and the moore just got too stressed. how big is your tank? maybe there was a territory dispute.

Guest Bigphil

It's a 55 Gal tank with just the three small fish.

Sue is really fast I'm pretty sure she's a common but possibly a commet.

Guest yabbie

There is a grey and white shibunkin... does it look shibunkinish? A bit flecky with the patches? Long single tail?

I noticed my biggest shibunkin fry nudging the others. I might have to separate the shibunkins and comets away from the nymphs since their growth rates are different.

Guest yabbie

Oh wait... you said silver... shibunkins are more translucent... not much reflectivity. Must just be a patchy comet.

Guest Bigphil

I've bought a piece of glass today and devided the tank. There are two tubes from the filtration plate (one either end of the tank) so that should work well. I'll have to remember to feed both halves!

I am fairly certain now that Sue is a Comet.

I will be a lot more careful about mixing fish in future.

I am learning slowly but I'm so sorry it is at the expense of Sues life.

I will in future make people aware that they should research all aspects of caring for fish BEFORE starting.

Really sorry to hear about Sooty! That's too bad what happened; did you check the tank params? There could have been a swing in pH that made Sue do what she did... I know several members have had the fish act agressively when their pH changed.

As others said, I would definatly keep the divider, that's the best choice, I think.

Archived