I Have Taken The Plunge!

Dory

I got a new fish! :newfish He's (or she) is a lionhead (gold and white)and I'm going to put him/her in the 55g (after QT of course) with my fantail and comet. I know that's generally a no-no, but I didn't think it would be a problem since my fish aren't bullies and are fairly small. I'm pretty sure that they'll get along fine, especially if I train him/her to handfeed. Do you guys think this will work?

Also, I was wondering if I should use meds just to make sure that he/she dosn't have parasites or somthing or if I should just QT without meds?

Congrats on your new fishy!

If you don't specifically see anything, I wouldn't use meds, but maybe you could do some salt or something. That could take care of lots of things, and won't hurt the fish.

They all should get along fine :) Lionheads can't swim very fast, but aren't really fragile and can see fine. Hand-feeding will be wonderful. Lionhead's are so cute, and orange/gold and white are my favorite colors! I just brought home an orange and white baby lionhead too, but he's a sicky :( Congrats, if mine makes it then they can be friends :heart

Guest Chishower

I would salt the QT tank just in case.

Don't worry, I have a chocolate oranda, a red capped oranda, and a comet in the same tank and the poor comet normally has a time getting food. Your lionhead should be fine.

Pictures! And congrats on the :newfish

He's acting happy as can be, still eats his medicated food, and is extremely active. I think he'll pull thru. I'm really worried tho because I go on vacation for 3-4 days next week and my tank isn't cycled..I've been doing daily 25% water changes to keep the ammonia down!

Anyways, congrats on your new little fishie! You're going to love him/her :D

Yeah! Congrats on the :newfish !!! Does he have a name? Or did he not tell you what his name is yet? :lol: Don't forget the pix!

I am no expert but if he is not sick then the QT with salt sounds very good - because of tolerance to meds. I just find it's always best not to do too much!

Kissy - Congrats ont he new fish - I missed that... I hope he gets better soon!

Kortinee - love that bunny! Is he your bunny? Cute!

Kortinee - love that bunny!  Is he your bunny? Cute!

359791[/snapback]

Yup, that's my baby Melvin. She's actually a girl bunny, though. I picked the name before I picked the bunny, and it just fit even though she's got the wrong plumbing. :D

She's got an attitude, as you can see.

okay, salt yes, other meds no. the salt is one tablespoon each five gallons or one teaspoon each gallon, right? just want to make sure cause it's been a long time since I used salt(for the fishies that is)! And I don't know exactly how much water there is so would it be the end or the world if I accidentaly slightly over or undersalted?(he/she is in a rubbermaid tub and I didn't fill it up all the way.)

Kortniee- lol wrong plumbing!!! :rofl still very cute!

Kissy-so sorry your baby is sick!!! what's wrong with her?

Graham- as for names, no nothing as of yet. I've thought of a few, but none that jumped up and bite me in the backside!

sorry guys that I have been so late replying to this thread!!! :(

Oliver has some sort of external parasite and probably internal ones as well. He was pretty bad yesterday, but he's perking up today!!!!

I think I'd rate lionheads as overall the cutest. Chubby cheeks, fat body, little tail, and they WIGGLE so much when they swim :)

I just read somthing in another post that says you should feed medigold to fish in QT. is that right? I have medigold on hand and it probably couln't hurt, right?

Archived