Is An Oranda Okay With A Comet?

:peeka I just wanted to know if it's okay for an oranda to live with a comet for a while? (let's just say a month or two) until I move the comet. It's because I just bought an oranda, and my really shy and not very active comet, Fin, has to share his tank with my oranda for a while until I can move the comet to another tank. Please tell me what you think. Thanks :hummm

If Fin is shy, it should be okay, just moniter them at feeding time so the oranda can get some food; if you have problems with feeding, add a tank divider, dividing the tank up; maybe 2/3 for the commet and 1/3 for the oranda, so he can get his share.

If the tank's below 20 gal, you'll have to worry about the extra waste, but if it's higher, then it should be alright, IMO.

It's a 20 gallon, and I don't think I have to worry about extra waste because I clean my tank every week and I have a really good filter, but I will pay attention to my water parameters. Thank you for the help. :bounce

"I don't think I have to worry about extra waste"

I don't thin you need to; I think the main reason commets need 20 gal each is for swim space, and I don't think they produce more waste than a fancy. So, I don't believe that would be overloading the tanks waste.

Good luck with your new oranda!

Guest Chishower
:) They should be fine. I have two orandas and a comet, and the comet has a hard time getting enough to eat. Oranda's are pigs! Even my little tiny red capped manages to shove the comet out of the way and steal some food.

"Oranda's are pigs!"

Most definatly; I love to watch my three stuff food into their greedy little mouths!

I noticed that when I fed them last night! Fin is looking a little more active since the new arrrival. i just hope Fin doesn't start bullying my oranda.

It should be fine, because Fin is shy, just keep an eye on how they are getting along. If you notice any bullying try dividing the tank.

Yeah, when I gave my little oranda another oranda to play with, he got up from underneath the filter, and went to play with him. Previusly he used to sit their ALL day underneath the filter like a little moody so and so. You've got to love fish :D

"Fin is looking a little more active since the new arrrival."

Has Fin ever had a tank mate before? Maybe he's curious and feels happier with another fish.

"I noticed that when I fed them last night!"

Aren't they fun to watch? One of my orandas bulldozes the rocks around to get at any snippet of food; I love watching her shove those rocks around with her nose!

Archived