Growing?

Maceo

I am a first time snail owner and I have noticed a darker blue section on the front part of my blue mystery snail. His whole shell was a light blue when i first bought him and now it looks like he's growing a new section of shell that is darker than the rest of his shell is it possible that he's grwoing? Is it a good thing that his shell is darker? :crp

Yeah, his new section of shell is kinda transparent! Thanks Smack! I'm so excited that my Sherlock is getting bigger! :lol:

In order to keep the new growth healthy and the same color as the rest of the shell, you will need to add calcium to your water. I use Kent Marine Liquid Calcium, but you can use cuttlebone, crushed coral, or even eggshells. Your water will also need to be hard - about 7.0 - 8.0.

Thanks for the advice airwen! About using a cuttlebone for calcium does it need to be crushed up or what? :huh:

yep! it will eventually turn to the same color as it hardens, etc as long as he has enough calcium and PH is high enough. :)

as far as the cuttlebone, you can just break off a peice, and either bury it in your gravel or stick it in your filter. just be sure to check on it every once in awhile because it can rot. :)

When I used cuttlebone, my snails' shells still didn't grow too well, but it worked better than the eggshells. I would pick up the piece daily and scrape it with my fingernail, while submerged, so the powder would come off - I hoped that would find its way into the shells quicker, but I'm not sure if it worked.

Archived