Over/under Feeding?

Guest not_trendy_7

Guest not_trendy_7

I've heard alot of people saying that goldfish are little piggies about food, and they'll beg, I've also heard alot about being careful about overfeeding.

Now I'm really worried that I'm going to overfeed or underfeed them.

I generally feed them once or twice a day. Should I just stick to that and ignore them watching me and coming to the surface every time I walk by?

Try and feed them once a day,feed them as much as they can eat in a few minutes.If they beg dont give them any food..thats what my fish do its cute but you must ignore them otherwise bad things can happen :)

hope i helped :)

I feed mine usually once or twice a day too, but if you feed twice a day, feed them smaller amounts at each serving. Once you find out aproximitally how much to feed them, you can get a teaspoon or another measuring instrument and feed them about that much each time.

"Should I just stick to that and ignore them watching me and coming to the surface every time I walk by?"

Yes, best ignore them when they're begging, although it is adorable.

Off topic: Leo, I love the pic in your sig!

I feed mine,twice daily, an assortment of goldie food (pinch 'o flakes, crumbles, floating pellets & 2 shrimp pellets.

I never feed them just for wiggling......or I would never have time to do anything else!!

Guest not_trendy_7

Thanks for your help.

The only problem with feeding them how much they eat in several minutes is that they won't eat while I'm standing there. So should I give them a bit, and like...hide and watch them kinda thing? lol

Really? I always thought all goldies would eat it as soon as they get it; they're so greedy! I would try watching them, you may not have to hide; you can probably move a little ways back from the tank and just watch them without moving, as their eyesight isn't that great.

i only feed my goldfish once a day...and maybe alittle treat late at night when i eat some veges and fruits...i usually give them a lil pinch of whateva im eating :feedme

"No more then they can eat in several minutes" is usually half the can with goldies. I feed mine little pinches of this and that through out the day, with the main meal being gel food. They dont get more then a teaspoon/teaspoon and a half each a day though.

Guest not_trendy_7

I figured it out! Apparently my fish like chasing food. I tried soaking their flakes, and when the food would sink, they loved chasing it and rooting around the bottom for left over bits. Who would have thought it would be that simple! Thanks for all of your advice :thanks

Guest deedeesue

:goodpost

I was just wondering the same thing. Leo has literally doubled in size in the last month, and is a food monger!

Now he is starting to pick on my apple snail, when he is not stuffed to the gills with food. I was wondering if I wasn't feeding him enough.

When I see him picking at my snail, I just through in a pellet, he eats it and seems OK for awhile and leaves my snail alone. I can't do this all day, I don't know what to do :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest goldygirl

i'm having a goldy problem,

i have 1 oranda, 1 ryukin and 1 black moor. my oranda (bubbles) gets about 60% of the food i put in and my black moor never gets any! what do i do? :(

Aha! :D the moor always gets the leftover cos they got poorer eyesight compared to ur oranda & ryukin.

One way of making sure ur moor get his share is by dropping the food thru a straw or a pipette tube right in front of his face so he can't miss it.

• 1 month later...
Guest FishRock

Hi I'm new here. I actually had the same problem with my black moor. I had him in the same tank as a fantail who used to eat most of the food before the black moor could even see the food. Even if it was floating right in front of him he wouldn't see the food. I had to move the fantail to another tank and I moved my lionhead with the black moor. The lionhead can see the food but won't eat as much because he can't fit as much food in his mouth.

I've found that my black moor sees the food really well when it's floating if I don't soak the flakes. The only thing is that this worries me because of possible swim bladder problems.

Archived