Ph level: 7 bang on

Filtration: Whisper 60

Water additives/conditioners: None

Medication: Tetracyclene

Food: Hikari pellets

Unusual behavior: Seems normal

Tank size: 50G

Water changes: 20% once a week

Fish: 3 Commets 1 about 7" nase to end of tail, the other two are about 4" with tails. No new fish added

Funguses: Yes, fungus started about 3 weeks ago, 2of 3 infected The biggest fish "Popeye" also developed finrot.

Okay, so Popeye is actually a girl and has had several batches of eggs and I am wondering 1) did she get sick because of the stress of constantly laying eggs? 2) Where does a fungus come from? Could it have been the infertal eggs? 3) I treated the tank with Clout with NO result at all, then after a few days I stepped it up to Tetracyclene because the fungus made part of her tail fall off, and then Finrot started in. There were some red streaks running down her tail, but those seem to be lessening. I have treated the tank for 5 days and I am not sure how to know if I can stop? The directions say treat for 5 days and then do a water change. I am going to do that this afternoon (water change). Where the finrot was the edge of her tail, it is now brighter white, I am hoping this is like scabbing or a sign that it is healing it definitely looks better than the finrot did. There are still signs of fungus but they are lessening also, the spots are getting smaller.

Should I do a water change every day for a while before medicating again? Does one medicate until the symptoms are gone?

Thanks ahead for ANY advice...

Goldcrazy

Hi Goldcrazy. The white edges to the fins are an indication that the tissue is growing back.

Secondly, it sounds like everything in your tank is in good shape, I don't know why your fish became infected but fungus and bacteria are always present in all tanks. Sometimes the conditions are just right for them to strike. Have you added any new plants to your tank recently?

I have never heard of the medication "Clout", is that an antifungal medication? Tetracycline is a strong antibiotic but I'm not aware it will have any effect on a fungal infection. I wouldn't recommend that you repeat the tetracycline treatment.

I would do small water changes for a couple of days and if the fungus is still present try the 'Clout' treatment again (presuming that it's for fungus).

Guest goldcrazy

Hi there, and THANK YOU for your reply.

Clout is a medication that my fish"guru" man always recommends but I was a little suspicious when it didn't mention fungus on the box... I do know that it was helpful for me when my babies were acting a little bit listless and were gasping. I always have a box on hand... But this fungus stuff is particularly nasty.

It has lessened but is not completely gone. You don't recommend treating again with tetracyclene, what do you recommend for fungus? I did see something at the store that started with an M-- Maracyn I think...? Would that be the one?

Thanks again...

Goldcrazy

Archived