Fantail Size/ Tank Size

Guest waheeda

Guest waheeda

Hi everyone! As you can see I am new to Koko's but not new to loving goldfish!

I have a few questions.

1) I recently upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon tank. I am running a UG filter and a power filter (aquaclear). I have one fantail about 2.5 inches long that I have had for a year and some months. The tank is cycled and all is well. Now I am wondering if I should get another fantail. I know the 10 gallon per fish rule however I want Wilbur to grow to his full size and I want to keep this 20 gallon running for a few years (3) before I move up. Is 10 gallons per fish okay for a few years? Also will he be lonely alone?

2) During the cycle I had a little nitrite spike and after that I did small water changes everyday until it cleared. During this time Wilbur developped some redness in his tail and dorsal fin. He is perfectly healthy, active, eating, lovely but it's taking a while to clear away. I don't want to treat him for nothing, does anyone know how long it could take to completely go? It's been a few weeks and it has lightened (it's not bright blood red but more orangish) but is still there. Any ideas?

Thanks alot!

Red streaks do take a while to go away only because the old blood has to be broken down by the immune system, transported and excreted. It may take several weeks.

I can tell you're not new to loving goldfish! ;) The 10 gallon per fish rule is a great guideline for small-medium sized fish. My guess is that if Wilbur is approx 2.5" at one and half years old he won't grow to be a huge fish. So there is plenty of room to add another fish, make it another fancy fish, like a fantail because commons/comets sometimes do grow really huge and you'll need a bigger tank before another 3 years. :lol:

Guest waheeda

Thank you Fishmerized! It's true he's been with me a year and some months and who knows how long he's been alive before that, because size is no indication. The thing is I was only feeding him once a day in the 10 gallon and I want to start feeding him 2-3 times a day...could he still grow or is he still too old?

Maybe I should give it a few months and see?

Guest Phreno

Don't think that your once-a-day feeding stunted his growth. Most of the time growth is genetic, but bad water quality can change the way they grow too, I do believe.

Guest waheeda

Ok, good stuff, so less food wouldn't have stunted him. And I know that it wasn't bad water quality because that's just not me. Great then! A new fishy for mummy!

Thanks for the advice all!

Waheeda

Archived