Changing Gravel

hmm iv been thinking, and i might change my gravel to, like, big rocks.. well not big but like stone size, smooth stones... :huh: yea anyway.. is is not mean to the fish to do this as then they cant do whats natural to them and dig around for food... i can just imagine them trying to get down to the bottom and getting wedged in between two stones!

and it must be a ***** of a job changing substrate!!

is it worth it? plus plants cant really grow unless they are in pots.. tho i think im trying for that clean look now rather than natural and planty.. i think it suits goldfish better.. what do you think?

Hi,

I have a bare bottom tank with some river rocks (about 3 inches wide) and I would never go back to gravel.

The tank is much cleaner and much easier to keep clean. And my fish keep themselves busy by nibbling on the algae that grows on the river rocks.

If you decide to take out the gravel, do it in stages. Take out a few cups everytime you do a water change. The reason for this is to not upset the balance of bacteria (good and bad) that are in the gravel.

I love the look of a bare bottom tank--if you scrape the algae off the bottom, it has a neat mirrored look.

new50gallonx.jpg

I love your tank Nancy! So clear and clean! I have to keep gravel for now although I am going to change soon to rocks like Nancy has. I would definetly change from gravel to the rocks, if I were you, it is so much eaiser to clean.

But now I have a question, can you still use the plastic plants and put them under neath the rocks or would be eaiser to get one or two or three live plants in pots and put them in?

I added some large rocks ( about the size of a fist......some are roundish & some are flat ) AND I added some pretty polished stones that I found at the local dollar store, sold in plastic sacks. I mixed in a little of the colored gravel I had too. It looks real pretty to me & I have a good bit of plants. I think it must seem more like a real "fish" environment for my guys!

I know goldies love to poke around. With all the rocks they have even more places to search thru.

I also have some seashells. They add a nice look to the tank!

But now I have a question, can you still use the plastic plants and put them under neath the rocks or would be eaiser to get one or two or three live plants in pots and put them in?

In another post I read, Daryl suggested to someone that you could use aquarium sealant to glue to larger rocks around your plant to hold them down. Like a ring around it or mound a few river rocks up around the base of the plant. I think that would be pretty and you wouldn't have to fix the plant back after every cleaning. :)

i had quite a project yesterday.. i took all the gravel out so not its barebottom... im doing water changes everyday to make sure its ok if it has decided to cycle again. and i added an extra filter (something to do with my horrible looking water post) but overnight there was a build up of poo on the bottom and it doesnt look very nice! how do you guys keep the poo off the bottom of a barebottom.. ? are my filters not doing enough?

thats what i was wondering also, because in my tank, i have gravel and the filter does a good job,l however often there is a very big build up of poo at the bottom, which they have fun eating and spitting out but it isnt very pleasent to the eye.

:P

thats what i was wondering also, because in my tank, i have gravel and the filter does a good job,l however often there is a very big build up of poo at the bottom, which they have fun eating and spitting out but it isnt very pleasent to the eye.

:P

359847[/snapback]

:exactly

I think that if you get some tubing and extend your filter intake so it sits on the bottom of the tank, that will help a lot.

360567[/snapback]

i cant do that coz my filter is like a box thing with slits in :(

well i found some really cheap river stones yesterday so i am adding them to the tank today.. and will take some pictures of the makeover when i have got the green medication out the water (tuesday had an itching fit last night! seems fine now) and got some pots for the plants!

Archived