Setting Up Tank

Guest Hellybelly

Guest Hellybelly

Hello there,

Complete novice, bought a starter kit tank advised to wait one week to allow filter to build up good bacteria before introducing goldfish - however day 3 and I've noticed cotton wool like stuff happily floating in the breeze attatched to dec rock and gravel - What is this and is it harmful?

Following Tank Set up instructions I added along with a few flakes of food a stress zyme solution to speed up the development of the biological filter and to eliminate ammonia and nitrite.

Help :fishtank:

Hello and :welcome

what kind of filter are you using?

perhaps the cotton is coming from the filter if you are using a carbon type one...?

umm i dont think its harmful..but your fish my try and eat it, so i would scoop it out a.s.a.p..

and what tank size (gallons wise) and fish you got in there?

Guest Hellybelly

Thanks for advice bud,

Don't think it's a carbon filter 'Rena Filstar i1' if that means anything to you.

No fish presently in tank, one goldfish waiting, was planning to purchase two more based on tank recommendations, however, capacity is 25litres (6 gallons I think) which according to info on some page I was reading isn't enough capacity for One fish - Hmm tad concerned.

Bit of an impulsive buy guess I should have consulted websites first

:stupid:

Yea, that's really not big enough for goldies.

consider doing a fishless cycle. You can use pure ammonia to get your bacteria up to speed that keep your water happy. that way you don't have to work your butt off for a month while they get up to speed with fish in it trying to keep the water from getting toxic. that'll give you time to decide what to put in it. that'd be a great home for a male betta and something else tropical.

The white stuff may be fungus. not sure on that tho.

Archived