Rare Goldfish

Guest Andro

Guest Andro

I was just wondering which goldfish is hard to find at any local petstore? Does it matter by their color or does it mater by the type of goldfish. What about eggfish or jikins? Just wondering.

The Blue Phoenix Egg Fish is in a special breeding program, for, after a very long time of being out of favor and popularity, there is a group interested in resurecting this facinating and beautiful fish.

The fish that you get in your fish stores are totally dependant on what the breeders that supply the stores are working on. Many major chain stores will carry fish that are bred just for their stores. You will see the normal collections of orandas, ryukins, and dragoneye/demekin/telescope fish. There are always the fantails and comets and such, too.

Many stores are supplied by more or less local breeders that will sell their culls to the stores. A breeder will cull and destroy a large number of fry, for they are not worthy of growing out. But there are still a large majority of the fish that need to be grown out to a reasonable size for the breeder to make a final determination whether the fish is worth keeping for show or breeding purposes. Any that are not, are sold. Many breeders have deals with fish stores to supply them as needed. You can occasionally see some fairly unusual, and often very nice fish because of this.

Our one mom and pop shop will get the culls from a breeder - right now the breeders seem to be working on bubble eye fish..... that is the majority of what I am seeing. A few years ago, it was the white telescopes - Siamese Dolls - that were flooding the tanks.

Keep your eyes open and you may see things come and go. I would try for the more individualized fish shops rather than the large chain stores for more unusual collections to select from. Or see if you can take a trip to a fish show - they are tons of fun, and the selection can be marvelous. Clubs and associations of breeders also have swaps and sales of things they are working on and you can pick up beautiful fish at a club swap at times. If there is something special you are looking for, sometimes you can call a particular breeder or importer and see if they can locate such a fish for you. Many people travel around - you may not even need to ship your fish.....

There are ways to get a hold of many different varieties. It is all a bit of luck, location, timing, and, of course, in many instances, money.

I have been looking for a good quality calico celestial for a number of years now. The only one I found was very stressed and sick. I took a chance anyway, but alas, he died after 2 days......I am still looking. It may take a few years, but I will find one.

Patience will also reward you with the fish of your dreams...... :)

All we have around here is mmm and vvvv - so I never get see anything "unusual"! :angry:

Is that how those stores also get their fish - from local breeders? That was some mighty fine posting, Daryl - thanks for all that interesting info!

As an aside, I just ordered a Betta and said I want the all white one (which they have a picture of on their website... hello!) - the guy called me and said he can't get me that, even if he could, it would be about 2k!!! :o:lol

Now, I want to get one of those Phoenix Eggs! I thought Eggs were the rarest, too - I mean, if they are not being bred (only rarely, that is) then they are rare by definition, because there would be very few of them... Right?! ;)

All we have around here is mmm and vvvv - so I never get see anything "unusual"!  :angry:

Is that how those stores also get their fish - from local breeders? That was some mighty fine posting, Daryl - thanks for all that interesting info!

As an aside, I just ordered a Betta and said I want the all white one (which they have a picture of on their website... hello!) - the guy called me and said he can't get me that, even if he could, it would be about 2k!!!  :o:lol

Now, I want to get one of those Phoenix Eggs! I thought Eggs were the rarest, too  - I mean, if they are not being bred (only rarely, that is) then they are rare by definition, because there would be very few of them... Right?!  ;)

359565[/snapback]

heh if you breed a long tail dorsal-less goldfish with an egg shape goldfish you'll more then likely to have one phoenix egg as long as there's no dorsal fin and no head growth, but a pom pom dragon is different, the range of of flaws are really high, if an one eye is bigger then the other that's culled, if one eye is facing at a different direction to the other that's culled, if the pom pom are at different in size that's culled too, if there's one too many pom poms that's culled, if the eyes are too small that's culled, and these are examined after the regular culling process has taken place which almost all goldfish undergoes, back profile, finage, and size.

So even if the breeders never concentrate on phoenix eggs and just left them alone to roam and freely breed and just concentrrate on the pom pom dragon the pom pom dragon will still be scarcer.

BTW: An all white betta isn't rare at all... atleast not here in NY, even mmm has them.

Guest waheeda

I WANT A DEMEKIN! I live in a pretty big city (3 million people) and still I have never seen some goldfish here. We get the common, comet types, Shubunkin and Koi in the summer for the pond folks. Fantails, Fantails they call Ryukins that are just Fantails. Ryukins, Orandas, Pearlscales, Lionheads, Celestials, sometimes water bubble eye. Gold telescopes are rare, so are Panda's and my DEMEKINS are nowhere to be found! They're soooo cute. I can't take it!

Give me one of those blue phoenix, and I'll never complain about anything again - EVER! :heart:thud

Where I live I only see orandas, black moors, and fantails. I never see any other type of goldfish.

Here in Salinas I've seen panda telescopes, black moors, albino telescopes, blue-silver telescope, many other colors too. Red cap orandas, orange orandas, black orandas, brown orandas, blue orandas, and many more varieties, Commons, comets, sarasa comets, shubunkin, black comets, many other colors too. I've seen brown fantail, orange, red, black, and white. I've seen orange ryukin and red ryukin. I've seen orange lionhed-ranchu, and many other colors. I've seen demekin, bubble eye, celestial, pom poms and pearl scale goldfish, in many colors too. Wakins, jikins, and eggfish, are the only hard ones too find, but they're there :yeah: . There are a few mutts, however, most look really nice, yet they cost around 20-120 $ :o

in sydney australia

bubble eyes and celestials are the hardest to find.

There are only 3 stores (that i know of) that sell them on a regular basis. And maybe 6 stores in total that i have seen them in.

Pom-poms are also very rare. We have different pop-poms.

I have seen Fantail, blackmoore pom-poms.

the most common are fantails, orandas

Guest Andro
I've never seen a pearlscale here.  :blink:

359528[/snapback]

I just want you to know that I bought this 1 1/2 inch blue scale oranda at vvvv in San Bernardino, CA for just $6 and it turned out a pearl scale :):D

Guest Andro
i say panda's are hard to find....in my suburb i cant find any panda's of any type of GF :(

359318[/snapback]

What breed of panda? Panda oranda is common at my petstore. I don't have one though.

Guest Andro
The rarest goldfish is a pom pom dragon eye, with a bronze body and 2 scarlet nasal one on each side, they can go up to 2 grand each

359480[/snapback]

Any website you can have access to a pompom gragon eye... or pictures, I hope?

The rarest goldfish is a pom pom dragon eye, with a bronze body and 2 scarlet nasal one on each side, they can go up to 2 grand each

359480[/snapback]

361243[/snapback]

http://www.geocities.com/greenngoldsg/diar...eye-pompon.html

part of the Vermillion goldfish club's site

http://www.geocities.com/greenngoldsg/index.html

Guest Andro

359480[/snapback]

361243[/snapback]

http://www.geocities.com/greenngoldsg/diar...eye-pompon.html

part of the Vermillion goldfish club's site

http://www.geocities.com/greenngoldsg/index.html

361427[/snapback]

Thanks a lot, maniacholic! I really apprecaite it

Archived