Two Males, Divided?

Guest Onefishtwofish

Guest Onefishtwofish

So I got my ex a betta, it's a male crowntail. Beautiful fish. Well he's wanting to get a mini-bow tank, and possibly another fish.

What is better, male-male (I know that's really not recommended), male-female, or male-male (divided tank), male-female (divided)?

Thanks!

It depends on what you like.I like a male with two females but that's just me. :) I've seen some males get along but i would not take the risk.Male with male divided is ok.And you don't have to divide the female and male.

I'd go with two males in a divided tank, just because males are a lot easier to come by.

Make sure the tank is big enough, though... half a tank can seem awfully small in some of those kits.

I've heard of males tearing females to bits if they aren't divided...that might not work out. I would either divide the tank and put a female or male in the other side, or maybe keep a snail in there if the betta is more peaceful. How big is the mini-bow?

Guest Onefishtwofish
I've heard of males tearing females to bits if they aren't divided...that might not work out. I would either divide the tank and put a female or male in the other side, or maybe keep a snail in there if the betta is more peaceful. How big is the mini-bow?

359282[/snapback]

I'm suggesting that he get a 5gal, so then if he WANTS to get a 2nd fish he can. Right now he only has the one fish, so a 2.5 would be okay...but it doens't leave room for more fishies.

We're going to make a trip into Big Al's and Pet Cetera later this week.

Guest yabbie

Two females is the best combination.

For anything else you're gonna need lots of plant cover, a couple of tunnels and have to put up with watching a bit of henpecking until they establish who is boss.

well if your ex wants to perhaps get some frys you can also get 2 females as other said above...but i've heard that 3's the best comb... with the male betta of course :exactly

Guest yabbie

I was reading an experiment that they did at Betty Splendens where they left the male with the fry to raise them to adulthood, and they all got along beautifully (well except for the weaker fry that got eaten by the male in a natural culling instinct) until they removed the male then the young males got all stroppy with each other but they still weren't as agressive as when they remove the dad and all the obvious males early.

I would not try to keep a male and female betta together. Too often the female will be killed. I would suggest dividing the tank and keeping either two males (one on either side) or a male and a female (again, one on either side).

Keeping males together is a no-no, and unless you have a large enough tank (around 10 gallons) to keep at least 5 females, I wouldn't suggest keeping a group of females either.

Just my experience :)

Agreed with Ranchugirl. Males should never be kept with females, period.

And if you do get females, 5 gallons is the bare minimum with 4 girls. A 10 gallon with 6 is highly advised and better suited in the long run.

Archived