Pleco And Snails...

fishrpets

I have a ? in advance..... I have a rubber lip pleco in my snail tank and they are fine together.....BUT....I have seen alot of breeding activity lately with the snails (no eggs yet though) and I'm concerned about whether or not the pleco would eat the eggs or baby snails when it happens. Anyone know or have any thoughts/opinions on it? please let me know. :)

as soon as the snails lay eggs, take em out to be on the safe side, but most likely, you have brigs, i think, right? they lay them outta water, and plecs cant eat things outta water :)

im thinking not, since they go into the gravel untill they shells harden and they have grown a bit...maybe someone with more pleco experience can help you here...im not 100% sure

Guest Chishower

I have been doing some research on plecos, and this is what I think. They are really interesting fish.

They are omnivores, with some species being almost entirly carnivourous and they like to hunt at night. From what I understand, plecos with barble like things on the sides of their mouths (i.e. commons x.x) are more likely to hunt prey.

As long as the pleco cant get to the babies, they should be fine, but you might want to try it first and see how it goes. As long as the pleco can't get to them, he cant eat them.

And, of course like always, it depends on what individual pleco you get.

I admit, I have 0 pleco experience.

However, I would be wary of just about anything around snail babies. Mine never really hung around in the gravel much, as soon as they hatched they were sliming around the sides. *shrug*

I did some research and Donya has had a rubberlip pleco with snails. Donya (who is the snail queen, btw) is pretty much always right.

Still, I'd observe the fish carefully when he's first introduced to the baby snails.

:) I have 5 Bristlenoses,and a clown Pleco in the one snail tank,and they could care less about the snails-be they big or small.I also have commons in other tanks,who are quite big and never hurt a flea. I have no problem what so-ever keeping my plec's with any of my snails.

Thanks, that's good to know. :) When it happens (IF it ever happens :blink: ) I'll just watch carefully to see how it goes. I guess the reason I'm already concerned is that I see him sucking on the shells of the snails sometimes and I have even seen him kinda shaking them some. :unsure:

Archived