When Is It Time?

eather.hey

This is gonna be a long one....

In March of '04 I got a fish from a fellow Koko's member who was downsizing her tank. It's a large, orange, female ryukin named Nugget, who was up for pic of the week in her better days. Nugget showed signs of SBD from the day I got her. She'd flip over when searching for food and become floaty here and there. I was careful to do everything right...soaking food, feeding peas, fasting. In March of '05 her SBD got the best of her. She had laid on the bottom of the tank for a few days and it broke my heart to see her like that. I bought a plastic bin from the dollar store and attached it to the hood of my tank to keep her closer to the top of the surface. Poor Nugget has literally been on her side since March of this year. She is able to eat, come up for air once in awhile, and even sit up for a few minutes at a time if I place her in that position. She has what I call "bed sores" from laying on her side for so long. I honestly thought in April that she would die from the sores, but here it is July and she's still kicking. Rick from Goldfishconnection suggested that I try his Anti-Bac Bath, just in case it was something internal. She's also been through a few rounds of Maracyn, Maracyn 2, and Kanacyn because another fish in the same tank had dropsy (the fish with dropsy made a full recovery by the way). She eats all top-grade food from GFC. Her belly is very lumpy, I guess from her swim bladder being deformed. I have done everything in my power to bring her back to her old self again, every method I ever read about online, and she is still on her side for over 5 whole months now. Is it time to give up? Should I put her down? Or do I let her live on her side, in her little white basket? If she can live on like she has, do I have a right to decide it's time for her to die? Or should I let her go on till it's her time? Poor girl. I just see no end to this. But then she's lived this long on her side, what gives me the right. Can she be happy like that? This is one tough decision...please help me!!!

Nugget in her hay day...

GoodNuggetPic.jpg

Nugget in her jail (I sat her up for this picture)...

nugget.jpg

OMG I just don't know :cry1

She's so beautiful :heart

What kind of quality of life does she have? Does she just lay on her side all of the time? This may sound weird (and is prolly no help at all) but do you think she's better off living out her days? or do you think her spirit would prefer to soar in that massive place PPH (perameter perfect Heaven)?

I too would ask for advice on this one.... because I just don't know what i'd do...

These are the same questions I ask myself! It's a tough one.

Yes, she is on her right side 24/7. The only time she moves is to eat, and she even does that on her side. She can also come up to the surface to breathe if need be, also sideways. The basket she's in is about 12 inches long by 4 inches high, so she's close enough to the surface to jump up once in awhile. If I sit her up myself, she will only be in that position for about a minute or so. She has not been able to get herself upright in five months.

:(

Guest becky

I think this is a really hard question and people just don't know what to say. You will have to decide when that fine line has been crossed and her quality of life is too far gone and there is no hope for recovery. :cry1

I would say that it does not look good and it could be time to let her go. But only you can make that decision. It is made more difficult because when she eats, you feel like she is going to be ok. But, if she is on her side all the time to the point that she has sores, that is bad.

Very, very difficult. I am so sorry that you are in this situation. What a beautiful fish.

I feel the same way - what a difficult decision. She is absolutely lovely, and obviously has a lot of spunk. Just a couple of things I thought of -

If she has had a lot of antibiotics, Dataguru told me, her balance might be affected by loss of good bacteria in her gut. This happened to Polycarp a few months back, and I made some gel food with acidophilus from one of Dataguru's recipes. It helped. I can post it here if you think it might help her?

Also, if you believe she still has an infection, antibiotic shots can really help. It might be worth a try if you feel up to giving them and/or have a vet who will?

Finally, my vet said, when my fish were having their floating problems, it is better for them to be sinkers than floaters. Provided they can still breathe and eat, it's less stressful for them, he said. But the poor little girl with her sores - I'm not sure he's right about that if she's at the point of having sores?

Anyway, I am thinking of you, as I'm sure we all are. HTH - at least a little.

Archived