Fish "noses"

Guest not_trendy_7

Guest not_trendy_7

Ok I'll be honest...I'm clueless about fish, I think they're cool, my friend won me some a the carnival, and I've been frequenting this site to make sure I'm taking care of them well. So as for being specific about their conditions, I can't do that very well, but I'll try.

So...I have 4 fish, all if them have almost horn looking growths on their noses as well as blood kind of under the skin around their noses. It looks almost as if they had run into the side of the tank, except for the weird little growths.

The tank they're in is about a foot high and round I'd say about 10 gallons.

There isn't anything in the tank right now.

I feed them TetraFin Goldfish Crisps and occasionally Hikari Goldfish Bio-Gold.

I just changed their water yesterday, cleaned the tank and everything.

I used Bowl Buddies Fizz Tabs in the water, but I let it fully dissolve and waited over night before putting the fish in the bowl as the directions said.

I must say I'm a teenager, without a job and my mom wasn't very keen on me getting the fish in the first place, so if there is any free, home made, or cheap place to start solving this problem it would be greatly appreciated, although any advice is welcome.

Guest Chishower

You're going to hear it alot, so I might as well tell you...goldies need at least 10 gallons a peice, so most problems you might have would be caused by bad water.

Do you have a filter? You shouldnt ever have to clean the whole tank unless something bad happens, you dont want to mess up the cycle.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/tensteps.html

Some fish have growths naturally on their noses. They look like little pom poms...or could you have baby koi? They get barbles on their noses.

And I know exactly how you feel about being jobless with a mom who doesnt like animals.

Welcome to Koko's!

Since the goldfish you have are probally commons or comets they will need at least 15 gallons each.So you'd need a 60 gallon.If you can't afford it 40 gallon is the minimum.They may look wierd all small in a 40 gallon but they grow huge!But yours are probally stunted already(Meaning slow in growth).And what do you mean by horny growth?You can also give them treats like earth worms,blood worms,brine shrimp,veggies,fruits.

Hi there not_trendy_7 and welcome :D

To make it a little easier for you and less daunting - there are ways you can help your fish.

1. How long have you had them? How often have you changed their water?

2. Do you have any filter on your tank? If not, then the best thing you can do is change 100% of their water every day.

3. Do you have a water dechlorinator at all? This will take any harmful chemicals out of your tap water making it a safer environment for them.

4. If you have a filter running, would you be able to take a sample of your tap water to your local fish shop and ask them to check your tank's water? See if they'll write down what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph levels are. If you don't - then would you be able to ask them to test your tap water for you - especially the ph levels.

4. Do you have any rock/sea/aquarium salt at all? If not, it's very cheap to buy and you can add 1 teaspoon per gallon as a general tonic for your fish. So everytime you change the water, add the 1 teaspoon per gallon back

Now, just on the symptoms your fish are showing - red under the scales may be due bacterial infection precipitated by parasites - most likely flukes... and this is where you need to make sure your water quality is immaculate. If it is flukes, unfortunately, your fish will need a medicine such as prazi to destroy them - otherwise the outcome may not be so great.

I know there's a lot to learn and it can be quite confusing - but once you start to understand all the different elements needed to make your fish happy - it's really cool :)

Please post back soon

It looks like a bad external bacterial infection with fungus.... although that's a long shot based on what i could see in the pics :blink:

The only problem you face here (and i really hate to say this ) is that without perfect water conditions, they don't really stand a chance...

So if you could answer the questions I asked in my previous post - this would help a fair bit (eg. filter, dechlorinator etc..)

But in the meantime, my only suggestion would be a massive temperature and ph matched waterchange using a dechlorinator .... then add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon - and i would do this as soon as you can.

I hope this helps a little and please post back soon :)

Guest not_trendy_7

I've had them since Monday, so not even a week yet. I've changed their water just about every day, it gets REALLY dirty really quickly

I don't have a filter, but I will be buying one ASAP, I'd been trying to get the money for one together, and I'm just about there.

I do have a dechlorinator, it's called Bowl Buddies. They're little tablets that you put in, they fizz. It says "Removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. Promotes protective slime coat and reduces stress. Adds benificial electrolytes to water and buffers pH. Naturally eliminates waste."

No Salt yet, that's on my list of things to get really soon. Along with one of those air rocks I keep reading about.

I'm not entirely sure if the redness is under the scales. It almost looks as though the fish are so translucent you can see the blood in them. That sounds crazy, but that's how it looks. lol I just went up to my local pet store and flipped through a goldfish book, and the fish in the book had some type of "feeler" looking thing near their nostril, so maybe I just didn't notice them at first.

Thank you SO much for your help, like I said I'm clueless and it really helps having people around who know what's going on. :D

Wow - well you're certainly on your way and thank goodness they have you :D

With the red - it may be trauma which has caused bleeding under the skin but honestly, if you've been changing the water each day and adding a dechlorinator - then that's a great start :D So see how you go with the salt and hopefully they'll do much better.

When you get a filter - it will take a couple of months (depending on the type of filter you get) to cycle your tank so more water changes i'm afraid but once your tank is cycled and the filter is doing its job - it'll be down to twice a week (and the reason i'd recommend twice is because you're overstocked at the moment). Maybe when they start to grow, you could probably get a bigger tank to house them? :D

If you see any more problems, please post back but in the meantime, perfect water and salt should hopefully see some improvement :)

Guest not_trendy_7

I'm definately going to be getting a larger tank. I do have one question. We have a few pet stores near-by, and one happens to be only fish. They're smaller, not a chain store. They have this deal that if you bring in a used fish tank you can trade it in for a bigger one and you just pay the difference. I'm thinking of doing this, seeing as it would cost less. Any thoughts on that? Would it be really harmful to the fish?

I can't see how it would be harmful... i think it's a great idea only i'd scrub out any new tank first.

I just wonder what the difference in cost would be. Are they new tanks? Or second hand?

Guest not_trendy_7

They're second hand. It would be like...say a 5 gallon tank costs $5, and a 10 gallon tank cost $10. I have a 5 gal, and want the 10. So I give them my 5 gal, along with the $5 difference and get the 10 gal. If that makes any sense at all. lol

Archived