Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Not Again...

Poor Oliver. Isn't there some tip of something that binds ammonia temporarily? Like Ammonia Chips or Ammo Lock or something... don't know if it works or not though, and I can't seem to find any reviews.

Is there a way to simplify the water changes for your mom? Maybe setup a bucket of water before hand, give her everything she needs to do it, and maybe write out instructions or something so she doesn't have to feel like she needs to remember how to do it?

Really sorry to hear Oliver isn't doing that great and that I can't offer you any good advice...

Edited by Roano

For cycling the tank, I heard Bio Spira is good and gets the cycle going... but I guess if you can't get ammonia you wouldn't be able to get that either... Are you leaving Sunday?

yes, leaving sunday. My mom wants nothing to do with touching water. I don't have the money for bio-spira.

If I lived closer to you i'd say drop him off to me and i'd take care of him for you.

As it is it will be a case of wait and see... Hopefully he'll do ok.... Can you post back on your return and let us know how he's going? :)

Of course I will :)

I thought of an idea this morning! I went around the house and stole two more rubbermaids..one more fifteen gallon and what I think is a ten gallon. I'm going to fill them with water and dechlorinate it. I'm going to ask my mom to every day, scoop Oliver out with the measuring cup and put him in a different container, along with his plants and the bubble bar. No sloshing buckets, dechlorinating, waiting for the temps to match, etc. Do you think it would benifet to have her dose the tubs with prime in the morning and she can switch tubs in the evening?

Good idea; did you already ask your mom? Make sure to tell her that if she'll do this one thing for the fish while your gone how much you'de really appriciate it, and if she says she doesn't want to do it for the fish, ask her if she'll do it for you. Best of luck.

I just did the run down with her, gotta quickly make a caresheet...We're supposed to have left already. I just got out of the shower and I'm not packed!!!

That's great that she's going to do that for you. You're already gone by now, but again, I hope Oliver will be alright, and make sure to tell us what's happening when you get back.

Good luck Kissy! We'll see you when you get back! :)

Paul

Just a tiny update: I called my mom yesterday evening and she said he was still alive but staying at the bottom. Pretty much no improvement, but he's still alive. How can this little fishy be so strong? When I was watching him dieing that one night I swore that every breath was his last..then he got better. He's the strongest-willed little guy I've ever met :heart I hope he pulls through.

"I called my mom yesterday evening and she said he was still alive but staying at the bottom."

At least he's still fine with all those tank transitions; probably just stressed, and he'll be happy to see you when you get back!

I just got home a few hours ago, and Oliver died this evening. Poor thing :(

If it means anything, his slime coat was falling off in strands before my eyes, and was specially torn up around his wen. His tummy looked like it was starting to blacken and his eyes were all glazed over (I think the eye part is normal tho) He wasn't really faded in color. His red spots were gone, at least that was helped.

Kissy I am sooooo sorry to hear bout your fish, by the length of this post and it's responses it sounds like you had lots of people to help you...I didn't post on this one but I am so sad to hear you lost him and that you had to see that happen before your eyes... :cry

I think he is in a better place and in my opionion I think animals hang on for a reason and I think he may of been waiting for you to come home..... *hugs kissy* :grouphug

Thanks Della.

I guess I'm nuking EVERYTHING. God that is going to be so much work, thankfully it is summer and there isn't anything else to do. I think I need to wait for my sunburn to heal before I burn again tho. So when this burn goes away, is there another way to nuke everything other than bleach water and boiling the rocks? I can't even lift the tank empty, much less out of my room, down the stairs, and into the backyard. Last time I ended up sledding it down the stairs and pulling it on a table chair. That was really risky and I was afraid it would fall and break (it was way to big for that chair).

Edited by Kissy

:cry1 I am really sorry to hear that, Kissy! I really started to think he might pull through... at least he was loved and was well-cared for while he was here. :rip:

Thanks Jules. All my other fish are doing great, and were extremely happy to see me (and were very hungry too). Orchard the betta keeps improving and his color was much brighter when I got home. Even my lily looked nice :) I'm gonna re-pot it soon.

I'm sorry about Oliver, Kissy.

Ahhhh Kissy - i'm so sorry Oliver didn't make it :cry1 I've been away a few days and was hoping for some better news...

With the help from your friends here at Koko's - you gave it your best shot and IMHO that's invaluable. I hope you're ok? :)

I'm doing okay. I usually have a dip of depression right before or after a fish dies, but it doesn't last too long, especially with my friends here. Tomorrow I'm going to start the cleaning, and once I finally find some ammonia, I can start cycling at least the 29 gallon. I plan on using the rubbermaid as a quarentine tank, but I might upgrade to a 25 gallon because I want to keep a comet in it eventually. Anyways, I have to find a nice filter for that before I start cycling that one. I just made a list of fish things I need...this list is longer than I thought! At least none of them are extremely urgent..because I am extremely poor :P

Oh I know :D I had to go and get some supplies today - all my filters needed new media... plus a new impellor on one, an impellor cover on another.. and the list goes on. I nearly fell over when they totalled my bill :cry1

Now I too am extremely poor while my fish live in luxury :D

Now I too am extremely poor while my fish live in luxury  :D

366381[/snapback]

I'm sure that's how mine will all end up!! There's a point when you've got everything you need and don't need anything else right? I haven't reached that point and its been almost a year!! :blink:

I'm sure that's how mine will all end up!! There's a point when you've got everything you need and don't need anything else right? I haven't reached that point and its been almost a year!!  :blink:

Actually, I don't think it EVER ends. There's always something you need. Even once you think you have everything you need, something breaks or you need to upgrade. At least, thats what I have found with all my tanks and fish..... :rolleyes:

Paul