Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Not Again...

Kind of? lol. I'll do some exploring tonight or tomorrow morning to see if I can find anything of that sort.

Clear stringy poop is bad right? I see a lot of it hanging from the fishies butt....its kind of worrying me.

Look under Fish Diseases on the main page - there is thing about fish poop and diagnosis. Stringy poop can be indicitaive of an internal parasitic infection. He might neef metronidazole if the Medi_gold is not working... It's kind of like when people have a cold and take antibiotics and wonder why they are not working - because they have a viral infection! So, it might not be bacterial but parasitic.

Just a thought - let the pros chime in ont his one... Good luck!

I'd just continue feeding the medicated food - which will help with any bacterial infection.

I'm hoping the salt and medicated food will help with the red spots but if you see no improvement - or in fact, notice a deterioration in the next day or so, then it will be time to explore other methods of cure.

That's when i'd start to suspect some type of parasite ie. flukes.... as they can also cause red spots.

So try and get your filter up and running asap - it'll help keep your parameters stable and your tank cycled ... and post back if you see no improvement.

Fingers crossed :)

The filter's on, I just turn it off during the waterchanges. I'm having a hard time seeing if the spots are healing, doing nothing, or getting bigger. They are really small, and each take up one scale. I *think* they look less reddened, but I'm not sure, and i'm not sure if it took up a whole scale before :( I realy hope the salt is working....

Metro-Meds have metronidazole in them, so if it doesn't work it may be parasitic; I just found out Goldfish Connection has one for parasites, or at least internal worms, and is called Medi-Worms. It dosent say much about it, and since you think Oliver has costia, I don't think it would work, but here's the page for it anyway.

http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/det...tId=145&catId=5

Hopefully the salt will work and you won't have to worry about more meds.

Just had another thought; since the temp has been up on your tank, and the spots don't seem to be getting bigger, would that mean it's more unlikly that it's a parasite?

I don't know ._. It seems like he may have two things wrong then..An external parasite (the red spots) and internal parasites (some clear poop). Meh....

I think Metro Med is just for internal bacterial infections; Goldfish Connection has a whole bunch of other stuff for parasites, but not sure what they all are targeted to kill, and they're expensive what with shipping and such.

http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/listing.php?parentId=21

Edited by Roano

Just looked at Metro description, and it said it helps with skinny goldfish, which can be a symptom of internal parasites, so maybe. Metro and the salt combo should probably take care of the problems, unless it is salt resistant.

Just a quick note on the meds at GC - I found the descriptions on line very vague, too but I called (or you can e-mail) and Rick responded immediately and answered all my questions - very helpful and informative - I don't know why they don't just putit onthe site... So, if you just contact them, they can fill you in on the food specifics!

If supplies are becoming an issue - Kosher salt from the grocery store is affordable and sea salt is easy to get, too. K - I have TONS of medi-gold I can send you some - no problem! And also if you need prazi (for flukes) because I have pond size! Let me know if you need it.

Just take it a bit esay on the test strips, testing only after you change something, like water change, or is you have a specific value change to check for over time - wnough time has to pass for whatever is going on in the water to register differently since the last test strip - I am just mentioning it becuase I went through about 15 strips myself last night and then realized it was overkill - they all read the same thing!

Hang in there, little tomato! (sorry, it's the title to my new fav song).

Couold the heat be hurting more than helping at this point? :unsure:

PS - A scope that could magnify 400x would cost thousands-tens of thousands of $$$! :o But, there is dig scope that operates thru your computer for about 100 bucks but it only goes up to 20x. You could use a pro jewler's loup for 20 bucks for that magnification. You might see some larger parasites but not bacteriae.

Edited by Graham

I heard that heat can greatly induce breeding of some parasites ._. The only thing I could do is throw in a few frozen waterbottles..should I try that?

A while back when I had Macy (Oliver's sister who had hole-in-head and maybe internal parasites) EatBubbles sent me 8 onces of Metro-Med along with 8 onces of Medi-Gold and some aquarisol, all for free :) I never got to use it, but I'm glad I have all that now. She sent all that to me because my parents would not let me order anything online and I didn't have any money. Is prazi the parasite medicine off of Goldfishconnection? It would be great if you could send me a little, but I think we need to come up with a plan. I'm not supposed to even be talking to people online, imagine what would happen if I got a package from someone I didn't know??? I'm trying to work something out already with Kortniee..she's trying to send me a three gallon betta home for Orchard, so I have to see how that goes. Maybe I can see if I can find a friend that you can send it to? That might be a bit difficult, but if you're willing to give it a shot, then I am too. I feel bad mooching off everyone ._. But I promise, once I am out of the house and have money, I'll return the favor to everyone.

As for salt, yah after I go thru this new container I'm gonna just go buy some cheap stuff from the grocery store. It wasn't quite as expensive as the aquarium salt is because I got more, so I guess its not a complete waste :P

I'll be careful with the testing equipment..I usually test once or twice a day cuz my ammonia levels get high pretty fast. Is there a specific number the ammonia shouldn't go over and requires a waterchange? It was at .15 yesterday morning so I waited til night to do a waterchange, was that ok?

Oliver seems kinda lethargic this afternoon...instead of actively swimming back and forth/up and down the front glass, he's hovering in the corner and swimming around a little bit :( I'm really worried about him :(

I realized I added 7 more teaspoons than needed last night...7 times three isn't 28 x_X Could this be what is bothering my fish? I'm doing a three gallon water change since the ammonia is only at 10-20ppm and I'm fixing the salt problem right now. I turned off the lights so he could rest. Please post back :(

Also, if he doesn't have an external parasite, could jumping almost 1.0 in pH have given him those sores? He seems to not be feeling too well right now....

I think he likes it when I sing to him...he seemed to perk up a bit. I think he's the only one who likes my voice :P He's also still eating. His inactivity is really concerning tho. I'm trying out the sending positive waves therapy...its always worth a shot.

If you can wait a couple days for the betta home, Graham can send the stuff to me and then I can just put in it the box with the critter keeper.

Just an idea.

The water change was good, since that should take care of the excess salt and ammoina.

"I think he likes it when I sing to him...he seemed to perk up a bit. I think he's the only one who likes my voice. He's also still eating."

It's good that he responds, I wouldn't be too worried about his lethargy, as long as he isn't listless.

If the red spots aren't changing, maybe leave the temperature about the same unless you think the heat is giving him discomfort.

Know I haven't been much help, but went looking around for more about costia, and found a few facts that may help. Heard that it was best to raise tank temp, and that costia only starts to spread if the fish's immune system isn't strong, but is normally on fish in small numbers, and that salt can cure it, so it looks like you're doing everything right if it turns out to be costia. I also read that Pottasium Permergranet is supposed to help with it. I know it's sold online at Goldfish Connection, but maybe it's sold in stores; does anybody else know where to find it?

Have you noticed anything more about the potential Hole In Head?

I really hope Oliver feels better soon, Kissy.

Found yet another site that mentions something; a differnt parasite, Trichodina, and says one of the symptomes is red spots. It also says costia needs to have a host within 12 hours.

http://www.nfkpc.org/Articles/Flashing/Fil...d_diseases.html

More about Trichodina:

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/trichodina.htm

Does anybody else know about this parasite?

Wow..yah, if Graham is willing to send the meds to Kortniee, and then me the whole package, that would be so great. It'll save an exuse :) He is on and off lethatrgicish, so I tried lowering the temp with a 1 litre frozen water bottle. That thing was completely melted in less than 10 MINUTES!!!! Yah, I don't know if that's a good thing..He's been breathing from the surface a little bit, so I'm going to see if I can do anything more with the aeration tomorrow, I'm becoming creative like that ;)

I'll read up on diseases too, thanks for the sites Roano. The good thing is that I've never seen him flash once.

Until the meds arrive (if it works out with Graham) I have a new package of Aquari-sol that says it treats external parasites. I also have a parasite med from mardel, but the aquarisol has instructions for a dip, and I think that might be best considering all the waterchanges needed. Should I give this a try?

I might be getting a microscope! I just realized my mom works as a college chemistry teacher and maybe she could smuggle one out. I'm gonna call her tomorrow while she is at work :)

Hi - Sorry - I have been busy with Graham - of course I will be happy to send some Prazi! I have a lifetime supply! KORTINEE - feel free to get in touch with me! I'll send it out immediately.

Maybe you need it, maybe you don't but now you will have it on hand just in case!

As for the scope, it might be easier for you to bring a little vial of your water to the lab to use the scope - what are you looking for?

BTW - you are not a mooch if people offer! Besides, you would do the same for anyone here - we all care about Oliver and we are here to help each other! :exactly

I love the name Oliver!!! I had a Siamese cat when I was growing up named Oliver! :heart When/how did you decide on that?

More importantly, how is he doing?

Oliver seems to be getting worse...All night and this morning he's been hiding behind his meal plate (easier to feed him with) with his head tucked under the rim, and he won't come out. He occasionally pokes his head out to peak at me, but then he goes back to his spot. I don't want him to die.....

I'm going to try and do a scrape where the red spots are to see if I can find any parasites. I'm gonna be doing tons of research and printing out pictures. I hope my mom can smuggle one home :(

Well, at least he's eating..

I think I thought of his name a while back, and it popped into my head a couple nights ago. I used his name on the phone while I was on the phone with the bf and he knew exactly who I was talking about. He swears I told him before but I knew I didn't. Wierd. Anyways, I really hope that he will pull through, I love him.

Should I try the net dip today? How do I do it? catch him in a net, dip him in for a couple seconds, and then put him back in the tank?

Also, I didn't know this was a symptom of parasites, but Oliver is "yawning" quite often.

Sorry for the repititive posting..but do you think swabbing the dots with hygrogen peroxide would do anything? Toothless advised me to do this with macy and her holoe-in-head, and it stopped the trails of mucous.