Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

Not Again...

I talked my dad and sister into letting me stay home, so I will be taking care of my fish. They werne't very happy, but at least I'm staying here. My dad said I HAD to go with to six flags next weekend...hopefully he'll be better by then and I will be able to leave the water for a few days.

I think I heard somewhere that salt dips can hurt really weak or young fish..is it true? He doesn't seem weak, but he is kinda young. I'll probably do a couple salt dips tomorrow, I just want to know what the risk is.

I'm not positive, but I think that you just keep a close eye on them before (to see how they are normally) and during (to see any changes) the dip. If you notice him hyperventilating, so to speak, or doing anything else that looks unhappy, you take him out and put him into clean water so the experience doesn't get overwhelming.

Someone else with more experience care to confirm or deny my report?

That's why i suggested 0.6%. It's about the weakest dip you can do... I've dipped my brother's fish in a 3% bath when they had chilodinella.... but they are quite big.

Hope this helps :)

Okay thanks :) JenW, this salt dip business seems all too familiar with you. Did you help me out with Lucky, the comet with the fungus on his pectoral fin that I won/rescued at a carnival? I think you did :)

:unsure: Kissy,How are things going today? I was at work all night-sorry I couldn't post sooner. I was looking over your thread,and I saw that you only removed three gals.of water.Have you tested your water levels again today? I just noticed that you have your lil' Buddy in a 29 gal. tank.I'm pretty sure that you'll have to step up on the water changes to get that Ammonia level down to safer number's.Once again-I hope I didn't hurt your feelings Hun, I just wanted you to realize the importance of taking on not only new fish,but a sick fish,and dealing with an uncycled tank all at one time.It can be quite overwhelming,I'm sure. I feel bad that you missed out on your camping trip though,but I think you did the right thing.You acted the "Responsible Fish Owner" & I'm proud of you for that. :) With your Ammonia reading a three,your fish would definately had some problems waiting until you got home on Tuesday for a water change. I had to rush to respond,because I was on my way out the door to work,and I felt bad that I couldn't comfort you more & let you know a few other symptoms/signs,etc. Jen has mentioned the Parasites,which are often alot of the problems that new fish face also. I hope you post soon and let us know how things are.Hang in there,okay? :D:exactly

I woke up and the first thing I did was test the water for ammonia. It's at .25 so I am going to do another waterchange and add more salt to the new water. Is 7 gallons enough? That would be roughly 25% I will kind of have a hard time syphoningup more than that because I only have one three and a half gallon bucket, and I can't start the sypon again after four gallons have been removed (thankfully I figured that out before I brought home the fish).

He still seems as happy-go-lucky as before, and still just as active. I think it's normal, but is it bad if a fish will swim up and down in front of the glass? He was doing this a lot when I was watching him. The dots don't really look any different, if at all, maybe a tiny bit bigger. I saw him pooping and it was a slightly long pale brown poop. His food is dark brown. Is this bad?

Don't worry about it Devs, I know it was wrong to bring home the fish, and I'm glad I'm staying home. Right now let's just focus on saving this little boy. :)

Okay I changed 7 gallons and now the salt is up to .2% He's still lookin' good. I'm going to go feed him now, and in an hour or so I'll try the salt dip.

At least he's still looking happy. Good luck with the salt dip! :)

gah... I have to change the tropical's water too, and I only have one syphon. I'll disinfect with bleach water before I do this (luckilly I only need to do water changes once a week for these guys instead of twice a day!) Whew, I'll be busy this week, I'm not complaining tho...I enjoy working and cleaning tanks.

Prime....well, at this rate with waterchanges, I think I'll be running low on water conditioner (and salt!!) very soon, so I'll pick up some prime next time I go to the petstore. Do they sell it at vvvv?

Edited by Kissy

"Whew, I'll be busy this week, I'm not complaining tho...I enjoy working and cleaning tanks."

Yeah, cycling is hard work with fish; I had to worry about that with one of my dropsied fish, so I know how hard it is to take care of cycling and a sick fish...

I wish you luck on the dip too!

"Do they sell it at vvvv?"

Probably, although I don't know if they do at mine, they may at your's.

"Prime....well, at this rate with waterchanges, I think I'll be running low on water conditioner (and salt!!) very soon."

I had to worry about test strips when doing cycling, but at least you have enough of those!

Yah..thank God for the masterkit!! :D

The salt dip went well, he didn't seem very stressed and was swimming calmly around the bowl. Two minutes back in the tank and he was as care-free as ever. I'm going to do another at 9:30, that's when the six hours are up. Should I add the salt in the tank up to .3 or give him a salt dip first? Nine Thirty would also be 12 hours since the last salt dosage :)

I'm kinda low on money, but I'll try and get some prime hopefully this week, maybe it will help with the vacation.

Glad to hear he's okay, and I hope he does well with his next dip... not sure about the salt; maybe you could PM Jen if you don't get any replies on it here before your next dip.

"Yah..thank God for the masterkit!"

That's what I had, but it went fast between two cycling tanks... my mom was ticked at me for using them all in a few weeks.

Edited by Roano

Salt dip number 2 went just as well as the first. I'm going to give him a break and time to settle down, and then change 6 gallons while bringing salt up to .3 in a half hour.

As for the tests..yah I hope these things last at least until this tank is cycled and my fish is better.

Is sea salt okay for treating fish? I bought more salt today and that is all they had that seemed safe.

"Salt dip number 2 went just as well as the first. I'm going to give him a break and time to settle down, and then change 6 gallons while bringing salt up to .3 in a half hour."

I don't know how you keep the salt levels correct and don't get confused at the salt levels per hour and such... but glad to hear, again, dip two went well.

.... and sea salt is excellent :D

I'd just raise the salt to 0.3% then keep an eye on him for the next coupla days... hopefully you'll see some major improvement :)

Just on waterchanges and keeping track - i used to get very confused until I purchased a 20 gal white (clearish) plastic tub which i use for all changes... on the outside of the plastic tub, i've marked in black felt texta 1 through to 20 gal levels.... that way i know exactly how many drops of Prime/salt etc I should use :D

Might see if that could make a good 'tip of the month' :lol:

hey :) im really sorry about having to go through this again kissy, but its really really good of you that you stayed home and your taking care of this lil fella, nd its good to know he's still happy:) goodluck n god bless :)

".... and sea salt is excellent"

Yay! Too bad I payed like three dollars for it! The fishy is worht it tho :)

"hopefully you'll see some major improvement"

What kind of improvement should I look for?

"Just on waterchanges and keeping track - i used to get very confused until I purchased a 20 gal white (clearish) plastic tub which i use for all changes... on the outside of the plastic tub, i've marked in black felt texta 1 through to 20 gal levels.... that way i know exactly how many drops of Prime/salt etc I should use"

I do a similar with the three gallon buckets I use :) I made lines where each gallon is, up to three. It could probably hold four, if the extra gallon didn't spill all over the floor from the bathroom to bedroom trip, I think it would be too heavy to lift all the way up the the top of the tank! haha...Its a good tip tho :) I'm wishing I had a bigger bucket tho. Last night the ammonia was at .25 so I was going to do a water change (and dissolve the next dosage of salt in the new water) but my syphon crapped out again! I had to stop after two and a half gallons (this lined bucket is great!) because I had to turn off the filter, and then I couldn't start again!! Grr...I hope its not breaking like the last one!!!! Stupid syphons..I never had this trouble with them before and its making me angry :angry:

The fishy is still as happy as can be, and still eating. I can't tell too much of a difference on the spots, but the each take up one tiny scale.

What improvement? Why the red dots start to heal :D

Just on the filter - can you pull it apart and clean any gunk out of the impeller? Normally if I clean my filters out, i can turn them on and voila! Nothing! So I have to clean the area where the part that pulls the water through (that's the magnetic impeller) - it's usually full of gunk.

What kind of filter do you have? :)

I have a hang over the back filter by Regent. Sorry I don't know a lot about filters o_O

I wanted to turn it off because when I drain the water sometimes it makes my filter come to a sputtering stop...I think it hurts the filter that way!

Yes - it is best to turn it off while draining :D With your filter - do you have a bulk plug you twist into place on the base of the filter? If so, untwist it (while unplugged and water drained) and remove from the filter... if it's like the aquaclear filters, the magnetic impeller will sit within the plug. They should come out easily and you may see a lot of gunk in there - that's what you need to remove so the motor can start to turn again....

Does this make sense? :)