Pleco Or Driftwood

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: over 1ppm...cycling

Nitrates: just getting to 20ppm

PH in tank and tap: 8.2

Tank: 30 gallons for almost three months, 3 goldies and a pleco (tiny bit overstocked, I know)

Daily water changes, 20% - 50% depending on nitrites

Yeah...so I wake up this morning and notice that Pugwilligans has had a patch of scales on her side rubbed off all the way down to her white fishy skin. She is always trying to work her way into that peice of driftwood I have, which makes the Pleco mad. I think either she got caught and scraped up, or the pleco got mad and went after her.

I am more worried about nitrites irritating the wound, because my cycle is being slow and difficult (arent they always?). Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting infected or irritated? And who do you think did it? I dont want it to get worse.

My guess is the driftwood...

I had a terrible problem w/ driftwood in my tank btw...it made my pH super low! I had to take it out and now it sits on my deck next to my pop-up pond.

Is this a common pleco?

I'm not sure how plecos react to salt, but maybe consider salting your tank to help your fish get thru the cycle. Hopefully someone more wise will come and help you out!

Good luck! Sorry I didn't have all the answers for ya.

Guest Chishower

I hit a lucky streak with water, its so hard that I don't think I could MAKE the PH go down even if I had too.

Nope, its a little baby bristlenosed pleco, he gets the crap pecked out of him all day.

Thanks, I was kinda suspecting the driftwood myself. I just had to make sure I didn't have a raving, muderous baby bristlenose on my hands. Ahh!

Hi,

Keep vigilant and suspect the Pl*co.

You can never ever ever ever be completely 100% absolutely sure it wasn't him that done it.

That's my piece.

Slugger :)

my bristlenose was always chasing my oranda when he was alive. all he had to do was go near the plec and he would be chased, so i too wouldnt rule out the plec.

Archived