Debating...

Guest Saturn2000

Guest Saturn2000

i keep reading adding salt is so good fro goldies...and all of a suden i read somewheres that it makes it mroe stressful for them. i duuno what to do. i jsut bought aquarium salt at nnnnnn that says for use with Tropical and goldfish tanks. so i bought some. now i dunno if i'm gonna use it. i need some opinions. and also, i teaspoon for every 5 gallons seems like alot? thats 11 teaspoons. i dont wanna hurt these fellows...really i dont...help! thanks! i need good replysd from ppl that are currently using salt...and i need to know how your fish are with it and how long u've been using it! thanks so much!

-tyler

I really don't think salt is good for goldfish all the time. Mostly it is used when goldfish are sick because it eliminates 7 out of 9 parasites, but since goldfish are freshwater fish it is not good for them all the time.

If your fish is sick however, here are the rules for using salt:

Safe salts are salts that don't include iodine because that kills fish. You can find safe salt (make sure without iodine) in your grocery store or just use Aquarium Salt from your pet store.?

??????????Be careful and always measure your salt, as goldfish are freshwater fish, and should not live constantly in saline water, this is why you add a small amount of salt to oxygenated fresh water. The rule is 1 teaspoon salt per 2 gallons. Only add salt at water changes.

Hope this helps!

I wouldn't deal with keeping salt in the tank all the time...I don't really have a reason except that it's not their natural water condtitions and it doens't feel right. If you do decide to, you should get a salinity checker thingy....I can't remember what they are called. It can be tricky calculating how much water has evaporated all the time. I think I recall seeing a salinity/temperature thermometer for very cheap at big al's online tho :)

The only time I add salt to my tank is when my goldies get ick. Other then that, I dont keep salt in it. Also, if you have live plants, the salt will kill them, so if for any reason you do need to treat with salt, take all of your live plants out. If you do need to treat, the easiest way to figure out how many tsp. you'll need is to go

(gallons of tank) times 2.5 = teaspoons to add

Soo... that means'

55 X 2.5 = 137.5 teaspoons!!!

LOL.... I have a 55 gallon tank myself, and just recently my goldies got ick, and i treated it with salt along, and had to add THAT much salt to my tank. I was alittle worried myself, but believe me, it was worth it!!!! If you do ever need to add this much salt to your tank, DO NOT do it all at once. Do it in at least three different equal measurements, and make sure to dissolve it in tank water in a baggie before u add it. I treat my goldies with salt alone when they get ick, and by a week, ick was all gone.. but you shouldnt leave this high of a salinity in the tank for more then 2 weeks... and the salt treatment is SOOOO much less stressful on the fish then the meds they sell at petstores.

GN always gets a very small amount of salt with each water change. It helps build the slime coat and kills bad bacteria. He is doing very well since I added it!

I hope that won't change when I add plants... :unsure:

When he was sick, salt baths (carefully measured higher doses of salt) kept him going until the right meds arrived in the mail! It kills the parasites by making their cellular membranes rupture from swelling due to increased NaCl levels intracellularly. Salt increases the fish's immunity as it is mild irritant, it promotes slime production.

Treats Ick well! And supplements other treatments by its slime coat benefits.

Guest waheeda

I agree with Graham. I use salt as soon as I suspect parasites. It's good because it won't kill your biological filtration. It also increases the fish's ability to absorb oxygen. When you add the 3 tablespoons per gallon for parasites it's done gradually over 36 hours (yes I said three tablespoons per gallon). Koivet.com has more info on this.

I also added 2.5 teaspoons per gallon while my new tank was cycling because it decreases the toxicity of nitrite. Again relating to the oxygen absorption of the fish and the dangers of nitrite suffocationg the fish.

For every day use, I think 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons is fine. I figure at this low dose and regular weekly water changes you wouldn't end up with too much in your tank. You can always skip a week or two as well. It's true about live plants though, we treated my fiance's tank (the parasite dose) and it killed all of them.

Take Care

Waheeda

Guest Saturn2000

*Listening to Dave Mathews band* "Honey honey....come and dance with me..." what a beautiful peacefull song..,makes me feel happy...Sorry...I'm so weird this morning...I dunno...i woke up this morning feeling so refreshed and happy!

ANYWAYS...i think i'm going to just keep the salt i bought for emergencies for salt dips. I've had my babies in plain regular well water since i've got them and no problems. Plus i wouldnt want the salt to kill my fast growing lilly.

thanks you guys so much. This site has been so great i feel as if its a hole new bunch of friends. Its great. and its all ppl i mostly have some stuff in common with.

Have yourself a wonderful day/night! :D

-Tyler

Archived