Wonder What You Think?

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

There was a posting recently about reasons for fish dying. It occured to me that the biggest reason of all was ignorance.

I bought a new tank a few weeks ago together with various equipment. The pet shop owner sold it without giving any advice about keeping fish. I think that it would be good that staff selling tanks should have a good understanding of the need for cycling, feeding etc. and that this should be passed on to the customer befor selling any fish. I believe that this could save thousands of fishies lives. I don't know if this is different in the US but it certainly seems to be the case in England.

What are your thoughts?

I live in Australia and it does seem like the vast majority of pet shop employees have no idea about how to properly look after your fish. There are some exceptions, but not many....

Maybe keeping people uninformed is good for profits, it keeps people coming back for meds, and new fish etc. :idont

Yes, some shops have people that know this kinda stuff, and some don't. It is just a matter of luck, if you run in to good people that know how to take care of fish or just people to sell it to you with no information.

YOu will find a wide range of knowledge or lack of it here in the states as well.

I have been in lfs that have no idea what a cycle is or how to treat anything, to a store that knows alot. Maybe not as much as here at koko's but enough to get by.

Unfortunetly pet stores don't usually provide the essential training for any animal product, only to sell it.

At my LFS in England, they explained to me the cycling (nitrates e.t.c...) they explained to me the importance of filtration, and the amount of food to feed.

I then bought a rena kid 40, 16 litre, and tried to buy two goldfish at the same time, (excuse my ignorance at the time:) )

I was stopped, and told how I need to get the tank up and running first, so instead I reserved the three fish I was planning on buying. So two weeks later I came back to buy the fish, and I was stopped and told I could only buy 1 fish today, and that three fish would not fit in the tank, even though that is what the BOSS of the LFS tried to sell me!! Anyway, I bought the 1 goldy and a month later bought another. I was impressed by how well they explained things, however unimpressed that I was told that my tank would fit 2 goldfish, when a 16litre tank is not acceptable as I found from this site. Anyway my LFS is being renovated into a MASSIVE store, cant wait till its done, and after it is, im going back to buy a bigger tank, preferably a RENA AQUARAMA 80:D which I believe is 20galls.

:D wel thats my story, youre probably sleeping by now :huh:

I like your idea!! :) I think the next job I get, I'll be a pet store person working in the fish department (hopefully) and I'll inform everyone who gets a goldie about info. I'll even make little panflets (free) and pass them out with info, also with good web sites (like Koko's here). I'd chat with them and make friendly conversation. :)

lillypetal, it sounds like you struck a good lfs, they are few and far between.

I think Jasmine has a good idea. It wouldn't cost much to print a few pages of basic information and references, but I guess they'd rather have you buy the books on the shelves !! ;)

Every time I buy a fish from the petstores around me, they just wrap it up and say "thank you for shopping at vvvv, have a nice day!" Except this one time a long time ago i went to mmm to get a water conditioner and I asked the lady what she recommended. I told her that I had a goldfish and she made sure I had a ten gallon tank, told me they were messy fish and then handed me a good brand (can't remember what tho). I was delighted! I think vvvv has caresheets online, but they are hiding, and the petstore people never tell me about them.

My lfs has caresheets everywhere!!! I think the first time I went in to buy my fish, I came out with like dozens of caresheets. They had everything to get you started, even tank buddies (not very accurate though) My store is always by me asking if I need help and giving me their 2 cents....sure it gets annoying, but now Im kind of glad they care. It's hard to believe how mean some stores can be!

Guest Bigphil

I like the idea of "Caresheets" I may try and pruduce something and let my local petshop have some coppies. I wonder how Kokos would feel about letting me copy and paste information from the sight? and perhaps I could include thier Web Address on the leaflet. How do I contact the main person for permission for that?

Gosh, I'd be happy if LFS would figure out how to keep their tanks cleaner & remove dead fish (I hate to go to the chain stores they are the worst. )

When I see a cute fish I just cannot resist at the chain my hubby always groans. He knows I hate to lose a fish, but usually when I do lose one it came from one of the big chains. :huh:

Archived