Horrible Looking Water..

my water's getting really bitty lately, like its got loads of little bits of dirt floating round in it, and thismorning it was getting so yuk it was a bit cloudy.. its even like this after water changes coz the stuff floats up in the water and doesnt get sucked up by the siphon... the filter doesnt seem to be getting rid of it all either... any suggestions?

edit - spelling

Ok, the filter media, when was the last time you washed it or changed it? I usually wash mine once a week and change once every few weeks.

er, before you wash the filter, does it have 2 pads in it? coz if it does, then i would only suggest washing one of them for the time being as you will loose all of your bacteria if you wash both.

if there is only 1 pad in there, then i would suggest taking it out and cutting it in half and only washing half of the pad.

that way you dont have to cycle your tank again!

:D

Guest Chishower

Or you can wash the pad in used tank water after you vac your tank out, so you wont kill any bacteria and you can get most of the junk out of it.

Are you vacuuming the gravel with every water change? This is nessasary, if you are not then the gf root around after a water change and dredge up nasty stuff.

Are you vaccuming your gravel with your siphon regularly? Are your fish eating all they are given?

Try cleaning the filter. Clean the filter media (like the carbon and sponge, and replace that if neccessary). Get in all the places that you can get to in the filter and clean them with Q-Tips (cotton swabs). Sometimes I get guck stuck all over my filter and it releases it all over the tank.

How old is your filter? and what type?

Another thing about the filter is since it came with the tank its probably not strong enough, usually the filters that come with tanks are for tropicals not goldfish.

aaah ok lots of questions...

1. i washed the filter media about a week ago

2. no it doesnt have two pads in it

3. i am vacuming the gravel with every water change.. quite thoroughly actualy

4. the filter is about 5/6 months old i think, its an ehim make i think

5. yea they are eating everything they r given

phew!

mm i think the filter is a bit small for the amount of fish and poo in there, i dont have any money though! i might be able to scavange one from my garage (my mum kept tropicals for the last 17 years) theres random bits of a few filters out there so i might be able to make one whole one if im lucky!

mend and make do... as they used to say

I have one of those filters that came with the tank AND I run a second filter. So I am running two hang on the back filters. I vaccuum weekly & rinse one filter one week & the other the next. That way I feel I always have good bacteria.

iv put a second filter in.. its very tiny tho!

gone barebottom.. im gonna buy some rocks for the bottom and tiddly little teracotta pots for the plants..

cant remember what else i was gonna say.. i keep stopping to eat egg fried rice :D

Archived