I'm Ashamed To Say She's My Mother...

I went down to visit my mother this last week, and realized I had never even known that she had a goldfish. I thought I would have a heart attack. She had an 8 year old common, I can't even believe he's lived this long, in a 1.5 gallon hex tank! And to top it off she says he hasn't changed the water in almost two years, the walls of the tank are coated with about a half an inch of algea, you can't even see that there is a light on in the tank when you look at it! :cry1 An eight year old and he's only about an inch and half long; talk about stunted...

I was horrified. When I got back from my vacation, I was going to bring him home and buy another 10 gallon for him to try and live out the remainder of his days with me, where someone would actually take care of him, but after the disaster that happened in my tank while I was gone with the overfeeding, I thought it best to not just yet. PLUS, I think he may not make it up my way two hours being how old he is. I think the change in his water after two years would shock him, and I think the algea in his tank may have kept him healthy this long too. I feel so bad for him you guys, I'm tempted to drive down on my day off on Sunday and bring him home...What do you all think? Would he even make it?

I know where you're coming from and I know you want to give him a better home....BUT....I have to agree with your thoughts that after 8 years in that condition, the change in water and tank conditions would probably not be a good thing for him. :( JMHO

The algae must use up the nitrAtes and keep them from reaching toxic levels. His little tank must somehow have reached an equilibrium and it would be risky to make changes.

It must be heartbreaking for you to see this but one would have to be so careful to make changes. Think of the stress factors involved :-

1. travel, 2. change in surroundings (environment), 3. major changes in water chemistry, 4. different food or feeding regimes, etc, etc.

One thing is for sure, if you mum ever does clean out that tank that goldfish is in for a hard time.

Yes it is heartbreaking, I can barely stand it, it kept me up last night. A year ago I would have thought nothing of it, but knowing now what it takes for them to have a good life, I can't stand it. And I thought I was right about bringing him home...I just wish I could help somehow....SHould I call my Mom and tell her not to bother changing that water if that's what's keeping him alive? 'Cause after the thrashing I gave her about the condition that poor thing was living in, I think she may decide to give it a thorough cleaning.... :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing (about your Mum deciding the clean the tank). Mums often take more notice of what we say than they appear to.

It can't hurt to give her a call and tell her not to do anything drastic, just change about 1/4 of the water and make sure she knows about water conditioner. If she hasn't got any wc, she can leave a cup of water out to sit on the bench for 24hrs.

If it's at all possible you could make another visit to your Mum's, give her some water conditioner and show her how to change a little of the water. That fish will need to get used to having regular twice weekly water changes for a while before anything else is done to change/improve it's environment. jmo

Hi,

What a testimony to the hardiness of common goldfish!

I hope that your mom has not already tried to clean the tank. I once unknowingly killed an 8 year old common by using a gravel vac for the first time. It stirred up bad bacteria, the fish got very sick from it.

That is how I found this site a little over two years--I was desparate to save him but it was too late. :cry1 But I stuck around and learned SO much.

(don't be too hard on your mom) :):heart:heart

:crp oh my...

yea i dont think theres anymore to add to what everyone else has said..

yea make sure ur mum doesnt change all the water!!!

does the little guy have a name?

Guest Bigphil

I am rather alarmed at your title "I'm ashamed to say she's my mother!

I am a recent fish owner and love my fish, but surely you must put this in perspective. As I say, I am a fish lover and indeed love all animals but you must see that your mum has done this out of ignorance and not through any malicius reason or unconcern for fish. Please do everything you can to rescue the Goldy and educate your mum in the keeping of healthy goldfish. I am sure your mum feels guilty enough with out the harsh judgement you appear to be showing.

I say all this with respect and of cause I don't know the full cercumstances of your relationship with your mother. But as mutch as I love fish I still think that a relationship with you mother is more important.

I'm going to get some stick for this, but so be it!

I appreciate your concern for my mom and I 's relationship! :heart

But one thing you all will probably understand about me sooner or later the longer I p9ost here is that I have a very sarcastic sense of humor...and sometimes it doesn't come out as said when you can't be in fromt of me as I say it! LOL, plus the fact that on a personal note my mother and I do have a rather estranged relationship; to say the very least! I really did giver her lashing, but I did it in a respectful way! Scouts Honor! Thanks all for you friendly advice!

Archived