Baby Oranda?

Guest deedeesue

Guest deedeesue

Hi all, :hi

I am looking for one last fish for my tank. I saw this what I think is said to be a "blue scale ordanda" he is very cute, with a long tail fin, but he looks more like a silver/grey comet, and has no hed growth yet. Is this because he is a baby?

I have 2 ryukins now, who are both very quickand greedy :)

will an oranda be OK or should I get on older one, or stick to the quick, greedy type? :rolleyes:

If you want the oranda, get the oranda. ORandas are usually fairly quick and capable eaters. All mine are quite dominant - having no difficulty in keeping up with any other fish. They tend to grow very big, very fast.

Since you will have to do a quarantine for your new oranda, he will have still more growing time.

As long as he is not so little that he fits into the ryukins mouths, he should be OK. You can always put a tank divider in your tank if you think he is still too little after quarantine.

I say go for the fish that strikes your fancy. Keeping fish is much more fun when you get a thrill every time you look at your babies! :)

I agree, get the one you want. They'll be ok. I have ryukins with my orandas and a black moor and they all hold their own and get along well. :D I also have a beautiful blue oranda so I'm a little partial anyway! :lol:

Get the Oranda.......everyone should have at least one. They are neat fish!!

As far as getting enough to eat, jeez don't give that another thought! I have yet to have a "goldie feeding problem"!! :rofl

"Get the Oranda.......everyone should have at least one. They are neat fish!"

Very true!

A lack of head growth could be just becuase he's a baby, like you suggested, and could develop with time, or it may not; just depends on the fish.

Good luck with him!

Guest deedeesue

I did go back and get him yesterday. He is soo very cute, and I didn't realize how small he is until I got him home. :)

Thanks everyone.

Guest deedeesue

His/her name is coco.

I hope I don't get clobbered for this, but I don't have a quaratine tank, so I added him right in. :duck

He is very small next to Leo my orange ryukin who has just about doubled in size in the last month :)

Coco follows Leo all around the tank with that "will you be my mother" look, and Leo tries to ignore him . My other red/white ryukin just looks perplexed with him.

Thats the last of my fish, Im at max capacity <_<

:newfish I will try to put pictures of them on photobucket if I can get my daughter to help me. :)

"Here are some pictures, I hope I did this right."

Yep, I can see them, but could barely see Coco in the last pic. Cute little Coco; what a pretty color!

"Coco follows Leo all around the tank with that "will you be my mother" look, and Leo tries to ignore him ."

That sounds adorable! As for quarintining, just watch your fish carefully now for any signs of disease; in the future, you could QT a fish in a Rubbermaid or other storage container. It's not as atractive as a tank, but will allow you to moniter that fish before adding it.

Archived